Lat 9° 26' 60S Long 147° 7' 60E Hanuabada village is comprised of huts built on stilts bordering Fairfax Harbor. Hanuabada means "big village" in Motu language. A rock formation is known as Hanabada Point surrounded by huts on stilts. Also known as "Hanuada". Borders the Port Road to the north on the mainland of the southern coast of New Guinea. To the south is Port Moresby (Town) and to the northwest is Tatana Island and Motukea Island.
During the Pacific War,
Hanuabada village provided laborers to aid the Allied war effort in the Port Moresby area. Although the village was not directly targeted, it had a front row view of many of the Japanese bombing missions including the sinking of MV MacDhui on June 18, 1942. During 1943, a fuel jetty pipeline was built at this location extending southwest into the harbor to supply aviation fuel for 5 Mile Drone (Wards) and 7 Mile Drome (Jackson).
village remains in continious use as one of the last villages built on stilts.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
May 11, 2018