9° 28' 60S Long 147° 10' 60E Port Moresby is located on a peninsula
that includes Paga Hill, Ela Beach and the wharf area on the southern coast of New Guinea bordering Fairfax Harbor to the northwest and Walter Bay to the southeast. Also known as simply "Town", "Moresby" or "Mosbi"
(in Tok Pisin). Today, Port Moresby is located in the National Capital District (NCD) of Papua New Guinea.
Port Moresby was a small administrative center for the Australian
territories of Papua and New
During the Pacific War, Port Moresby was the strategic objective of the Japanese
on two occasions. First, in early May 1942 during the Battle
of Coral Sea and second in late September 1942 by the Japanese Army advance over the Kokoda
Trail across the Owen Stanley Range. Between January 1942 until September 1943 Port Moresby was targeted by Japanese bombers and fighter aircraft. Most attacks targeted Allied shipping, airfields and military installations.
Japanese missions against Port Moresby
January 28, 1942 - September 20, 1943
During 1942-1944, the Port Moresby area was developed into a major
American and Australian staging area and airfield complex to support
the Allied offensive to push the Japanese out of New Guinea. Designated "Base D" by the US Army Letter Base designation.
Port Moresby is the national capital
of Papua New Guinea (PNG). The town has grown and many traces of the
war have been removed or disappeared. The PNG
National Museum has a large collection of war relics and artifacts.
To this day, wartime Marston
Matting / PSP (Pierced Steel Planking) is still used as fences, sidewalks
or animal pens.
Burns Philips Building
Built prewar, overlooks the wharf area and survived the war undamaged, across from the Papuan Hotel. Remains and is used by small shops until it burned down in late 2005.
This prewar hotel was taken over by American forces and used as a HQ. It survived the war, Burned down during the 1960s.
Located in Port Moresby town, operated
by the US Canteen Services. Today is near the present day Crown Plaza
Port Moresby Masonic Lodge (Lodge No. 292)
Established on September 30, 1922 by A .W. Woolfrey. Originally located on Port Road. During 1941, closed due to the Pacific War. During 1942, a member of RAAF 30 Squadron held a meeting in June Valley. On September 4, 1944 the lodge was reopened. During 1955, relocated to a new building, across from the Crown Plaza Hotel where it remains to this today. The lodge has painted RAAF, AIF and 5th Air Force logo from the war on display.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
September 9, 2018