Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
  MV MacDhui
Burns Philp

4,561 Tons
341.9' x 51.2' x 22.1'

Click For Enlargement
Parer June 18, 1942

Click For Enlargement
Click For Enlargement
5th AF Dec 5, 1942

Click For Enlargement

8th PRS June 18, 1942

Click For Enlargement
Frances Lasker 1947

Click For Enlargement
Click For Enlargement
Andrew Wright 1994

Click For Enlargement
Justin Taylan 2000

Click For Enlargement
Justin Taylan 2005

Ship History
Built by Clydeside shipbuilders Barclay Curle & Company in Glasgow, Scotland. During construction, assigned yard number 644. Launched December 23, 1930. Purchased by Burns Philp Company, Ltd. During March 1931 departed on her maiden voyage with a load of coal leaving Glasgow and steaming via the Azores and Jamaica before transiting the Panama Canal to the Pacific Ocean via Suva before arriving in Sydney Harbor.

MacDhui provided Burns Philp Company passenger and cargo service between Sydney Harbor and New Guinea. The vessel had 167 first class passenger accommodations.

On June 20, 1931 between Madang and Lae a fire broke out, and the passengers were safely taken ashore in lifeboats. MacDhui was safely towed to Salamaua by MV Neptuna. After temporary repairs at Salamaua, MacDhui returned to Sydney Harbor for six weeks of repairs.

Wartime History
Commandeered by the Australian Navy, MV MacDhui was placed under the command of Captain J. Campbell. MacDhui steamed to Manila to evacuate civilians to Port Moresby. Also, to evacuate woman and children from Rabaul and outlying areas to Port Moresby and then to Townsville. Those evacuated included four hundred survivors of RMS Rangitane left stranded on Emirau after their ship was sunk by German Raiders.

MacDhui operated regularly between Sydney Harbor and Port Moresby transporting supplies and troops. On April 12, 1942 evacuees from New Britain transported aboard the MV Laurabada to Port Moresby boarded the MacDhui and were transported to Townsville.

During May 31 - June 1, 1942 delayed at Sydney Harbor due to the Japanese Midget submarines attack. On June 6, 1942 joined a convoy on June 6, 1942 to Townsville with cargo of aviation fuel. At Townsville, 154 Australian soldiers were taken aboard, then she departed for Port Moresby, arriving on June 15th at 5:00pm at Fairfax Harbor.

Sinking History
On June 17, 1942 MacDhui was docked in Fairfax Harbor off Port Moresby unloading her cargo of 44 gallon drums of aviation fuel when Japanese bombers arrived. The ship maneuvered to to avoid the bombs inside the confines of Fairfax Harbor. The ship sustained damage and ten crew members were killed and wounded. That night, the vessel docked again at Port Moresby.

On June 18, 1942 the Japanese returned to bomb Port Moresby with twenty-seven G4M1 Betty bombers from the 4th Kokutai led by Lt Renpei Egawa, that departed from Vunakanau Airfield near Rabaul. Later on August 7, 1942 Egawa lead the first Japanese air raid against Guadalcanal.

The bombers targeted MacDhui and captain Campbell again tried to avoid the bombs by maneuvering in Fairfax Harbor. This time, MacDhui was hit directly amidships, and lost rudder control. She hit a coral reef in the central of the harbor, and rolled on her side sinking near Hanubada village. The crew took to lifeboats and although shaken, made it to shore safely. The dramatic sinking was captured on a black and white cine film and photographs taken Australian correspondent Damien Parer from a nearby hilltop.

The shipwreck remains on the reef and is visible partly exposed. For years after the war into the colonial era, there was the false rumor that the ship had been carrying the Christmas beer for the Australian troops in the town. Today, it is a well known landmark clearly visible from around Port Moresby. The closest point on land to the shipwreck is the coastal road between Hanubada and Tatana Island.

Salvage Efforts
In 1950, most of the ship's bunker oil was salvaged.

The main mast was salvaged in the 1960s and is the flag mast for the Papuan Yacht Club.

During the war, the ship's bell was salvaged and used by RAAF Air Sea Rescue marine section. After the war, it was donated to St. John's Church at Ela Beach.

In 1970, Dave and Barry May acquired the salvage rights, and attempted to blast the propeller, causing an oil leak.

This vessel is also spelled "Macdhui".
Wings Official Magazine of the RAAF "RAAF 'Fleet' Rescues" by P/O C. A. Burley page 10-11
"All calls to action are sounded at the Marine section on the bell of the SS [MV] Macdhui, whose flame-seared, rusted hull in Moresby Harbor is a grim reminder of the big 'DO.' "
Lloyd’s Register of Ships - Macdhui - Year of build 1930 Gross Tonnage 4,480 (1931)
Lloyd’s Register of Ships - Macdhui - Year of build 1931 Gross Tonnage 4,561 (1930–1944)
MV Macdhui Killed In Action & Wounded In Action June 17, 1942 research by Daniel Leahy
New Guinea Salvage Pirate page 94
Shipping Times - MV Macdhui
Passengers In History - Macdhui

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
November 16, 2018


Photo Archive
  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram