Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
Fort DeRussy / US Army Museum of Hawaii
LinkSaratoga and Kalia Road, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
Tel: 1-808-955-9552

Click For EnlargementFort DeRussy
Located at Waikiki. During 1911, construction of Fort DeRussy was begun as an Army reservation and completed during 1915 to protect the approaches to Honolulu and Pearl Harbor in the US territory of Hawaii. Named in honor of Rene Edward DeRussy who built the fortifications of San Francisco and invented the Barbette Depressing Gun Carriage.

Initially large cannons were located in two battery locations within this fort. Later on, the canons were replaced with antiaircraft guns. Coastal Artillery was officially disbanded by the US Army on June 28, 1950. The guns of Fort DeRussy were cut up for scrap and the Fort designated as an Armed Forces Recreation Area.

Click For EnlargementBattery Randolph (US Army Museum)
Located inside Battery Randolph.  In 1977, historian Warren Sessler worked to have the battery turned into a museum, and acquired two guns from a WWI memorial in Honolulu for installation at the former battery. The museum is dedicated to the roll Hawaii played in military actions from WWI through Vietnam.

105mm Howitzer M3
Displayed outdoors

M24 Chaffee Tank
Displayed outdoors at the museum

Type 95 Ha Go
Recovered from Makin, transported to Hawaii for technical evaluation

Type 1 47mm Anti-Tank Gun
Displayed at the museum

U.S. Prefabricated Pill Box
Steel pillbox placed around Oahu to defend military installations. Once buried into position a two man crew entered through a culvert pipe opening at the base to operate a light machine gun from the revolving turret.

Japanese 127mm Gun
Postwar, this gun was transported to Hawaii.  In the middle 1970's it was then taken to the US Army Museum of Hawaii for display. Thanks to Warren Sessler for this information.

Monarchy Cannon
One of a battery of twelve guns emplaced at Punchbowl by the Hawaiian Monarchy starting in 1831 to defend the harbor and fire salutes. The gun was moved to the Bishop Museum in 1920 where it remained until 1988, then moved it to the museum.

Indoors Displays
Indoors, the former gun battery is the museum. Displays cover the history of Fort DeRussy and the development of Battery Randolph. Also, the World War II history of Hawaii. Other displays include the 442nd Regimental Combat Team (RCT). Other exhibits cover the role of Hawaii in the Korean and Vietnam conflicts. Plus, other displays and exhibits. A new exhibit is devoted to the life and career of General Shinseki.

Type 92 70mm Battalion Gun Serial Number 213
Displayed inside the museum

Type 100 Sub Machine Gun Serial Number 7065
Displayed at the museum

Type 94 Light Machine Gun Serial Number 13014
Displayed at the museum

Knee Mortar
Two Japanese Army Knee Mortars are on display

Lewis Gun
Displayed at the museum

Type 94 pistol
Displayed at the museum

Type 14 pistol
Displayed at the museum

Type 26 revolver
Displayed at the museum

Type 92 7.7mm Machine Gun "Jukie"
Displayed with a mannequin a diorama depicting combat in China.

 

  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
 
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram