AWM Aug 6, 1945
AWM Sept 11, 1945
AWM Sept 12, 1945
Lat 3° 38' 60S Long 143° 18' 0E Kiarivu is located to the south of Wewak. To the west is Yangoru and Maprik. Also known as "Kiarfi".
After Australian Army troops advanced along the north coast and occupied Wewak, Japanese Army forces retreated inland to Kiarivu. Japanese Army Lt General Hatazo Adachi established his headquarters at this location.
On August 11, 1945, No. 3 platoon, 2 New Guinea Infantry Battalion led the the Australian Army 2/7 Infantry Battalion on a six day patrol into enemy territory that reached Kiarivu and were supported by air drops, including a 75mm Howitzer manned by A Battery, 2/1 Tank Attack Regiment. Also, air strikes by Beauforts against the village.
Australians atop coconut knoll exchanged small arms and machine gun fire with Japanese defenders in Kiarivu village. On August 13, 1945 the 75mm howitzer provided supporting fire from Kiarivu Airfield. Fighting continued until the next day. On August 14, 1945 a flag raising ceremony was performed at the Kiap house, the government outpost at Kiarivu.
On September 11, 1945, Japanese Army Lt General Hatazo Adachi, commander of the 18th Army accompanied by his staff arrived at the front lines occupied by C Company, 2/7 Infantry Battalion and were escorted to battalion headquarters. Weakened, Adachi sat in a seat carried by four men and on September 12 departed for Maprik. At the time of surrender, only 13,000 of the 18th Army's original strength of 100,000 troops
survived the war.
Built during early August by native labor
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
May 22, 2017