The Rabaul Prisoner Compound was located on the corner of Casurine Street and Konbue Street, between the Pacific Hotel and Malaguna Road in Rabaul. Also known as "Rabaul POW Camp" or "Kempeitai POW Prison".
This building was built as a two story wooden building. In the early 1940s, owned by a Chinese businessman named Akun who operated a tailor shop and clothing store from this location. The side facing the street had a storefront and behind the front building was a court yard.
On January 23, 1942 occupied by the Japanese when they captured Rabaul. The fate of the Chinese owner Akun is unknown.
In early 1943, occupied by the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) 6th Kempeitai (Kempei-Tai) (6th Military Police) also referred to as the 6th Field Kempeitai (Kempei-Tai). The ground floor was converted into six cells to detain prisoners.
The Japanese officers lived on the second floor while the prisoners were detained in six cells at ground level in the northern building with guard quarters in the southern building.
Previously, Allied Prisoners Of War (POW) were detained elsewhere including the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) Keibitai Headquarters at Rabaul (Rabaul Navy POW Compound) and civilians detained elsewhere.
Between early 1943 until early 1944, converted into a prison compound to detain Allied Prisoners Of War (POW).
1st Lt. Jose L. Holguin recalls:
"The building housing the prisoners and the officers and men of the, military police headquarter were a series of converted, two story warehouse that before the war had been part of a Chinese tailor shop and clothing store. The officers, interpreters and warrant officers lived on the second floor, the prisoners were confined in six cells located on the lower floor of the northernmost building. The guards had their quarters in the southernmost building."
Horio You Next Die! page 57:
"The new prisoners [Joseph G. Nason and William Welles] were led into a dirt courtyard immediately behind the storefront. It was closed in on all sides by low, one story structures. Nason and Wells were directed towards the left one which had six evenly spaced doors along its length. To the right of each door was a small, waist-high window opening with bars, and below each of these at floor level was a smaller opening - about six inches high and twelve inches wide. Directly in front of this cell block was a three sided, open shelter, where two guards sat on a bench facing the cells."
Known Prisoners Of War (POWs) detained at the Rabaul Prison Compound:
In early 1944, Rabaul became the target of heavy bombing raids and the surviving prisoners were moved to the Tunnel Hill POW Camp. Afterwards, the buildings were either destroyed by U. S. bombing or deliberately burned down by the Japanese.
During 1994, Rabaul largely destroyed by a volcanic eruption that covered most of the town in ash, including the location of this building.
E&E Report Gordon Manuel Appendix 1, page 3
"Australian and American prisoners of war are housed in the house of Akun on Casarina Avenue between the Pacific Hotel and Malaguna Road in Rabaul."
Horio You Next Die! page 57
Target Rabaul (6th Field Kempeitai) pages 47, 51, 122, 266, 327-328, 334, 339, 352, 357, (Appendix A - The Prisoners of Rabaul) 363
Thanks to Henry Sakaida and Brian Bennett for additional information.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
February 23, 2019