Bomb AA Battery
December 28, 1943 Before and After photos
of a high altitude bombing run on a heavy A.A. battery
located slightly north of Alexishafen. In this
photograph, major bomb damage is seen in the middle of
the peninsula, but in reality, the AA batteries were further
to the tip, and thus would have been untouched by this
75mm Anti-Aircraft Batteries
Today, many relics remain on the mission
properly undisturbed. Unlike other relics that have since
been scrapped or removed, the mission land is protected
and is why they are left intact. The mission's sign is made
from a large Japanese propeller, probably from a bomber
from Alexishafen. Also, the stations of the cross are painted
onto large ship screws, probably from wrecks or abandoned
equipment in the harbor area.
During the Japanese occupation, the Catholic
mission, which is built on a peninsula of land was fortified
with at least a dozen an anti-aircraft batteries outfitted
with the Japanese 75mm guns built into revetments.
Today, the revetment
are clearly visible and many bomb craters pot mark the area.
Some of the guns are missing, or barrels have fallen off
in the years since the war while others are still in excellent
Despite the bomb craters, no direct hits
were scored on the guns, although several had shrapnel damage
on their barrels marking nearby blasts.
Propellers & Stations
of the Cross
The stations of the cross are painted
on large ship propellers, presumably from war debris located
near the mission and collected after the war.
Return to Madang | Main