|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
New Orleans Class
588' x 61' 9" x 19' 5"
9 x (3 x 3) 8" guns
8 x 5" AA guns
2 x 3 pounder 47mm guns
6 x quad 40mm Bofors guns
26 x 20mm AA guns
1 x aircraft catapult
On October 11, 1941 San Francisco entered the Pearl Harbor for overhaul that was scheduled to be completed by December 25, 1941. By early December 1941, she was awaiting docking and the cleaning of her fouled bottom. Her engineering plant was largely broken down for overhaul. Ammunition for her 5" guns and 8" guns were in storage and her 3" guns were removed for the installation of quad mounted 1.1" guns. Her .50 caliber machine guns were being overhauled, leaving only two .30 caliber machine guns and small arms available for defense.
On December 16, 1941 departed Pearl Harbor with Task Force 14 (TF 14) bound for Wake Island until it fell to the Japanese. Instead, the task force diverted to Midway Atoll to land reinforcements. On December 29, 1941 returned to Pearl Harbor.
On November 12, 1942 at the start of the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal Japanese bombers escorted by fighters attacked attack U.S. warships and transports in Iron Bottom Sound off the north coast of Guadalcanal. At 2:16pm a G4M1 Betty released a torpedo that missed San Francisco. Hit by anti-aircraft fire, this same Betty deliberately crashed into the after control station that killing 30 men including the executive officer, Commander Mark H. Crouter, O-055937 this was the only damage inflicted on the American vessels by the Japanese. Also damaged was USS Buchanan (DD-484) that was hit by friendly gunfire that killed five aboard and forced it to be withdrawn for repairs.
For her World War II service, San Francisco earned 17 battle stars during World War II making her the 3rd most decorated USN ship in World War II.
On November 27, 1945, San Francisco departed for San Francisco arriving in the middle of December 1945 then continued on to the east coast on January 5, 1946, and arrived at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for inactivation on January 19, 1946. Decommissioned on February 10, 1946 and berthed with the Philadelphia Group of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet until March 1, 1959, when struck from the Naval Vessel Register.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|