|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Mount Hood-class ammunition ship
459' 2' x 28' 3" x 28' 3"
1 x 5"/38 gun
4 x 3"/50 gun
2 x Twin 40mm AA
10 x 20mm AA
Capacity: 7,700 Long Tons
USN July 1944
USN November 10, 1944
Built by North Carolina Shipbuilding Company in Wilmington, North Carolina. Built under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1356) as Marco Polo, a cargo ship. On November 10, 1943 renamed Mount Hood. Launched November 28, 1943 sponsored by Mrs. A. J. Reynolds.
Acquired by the Navy on loan-charter basis on January 28, 1944. Converted as the lead ship in the Mount Hood-class ammunition ship (Type C2-S-AJ1) by Norfolk Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company at Norfolk, Virginia, and at the Norfolk Navy Yard. Painted in camouflage Measure 32, Design 18F. Commissioned July 1, 1944 with Comdr. Harold A. Turner in command.
Assigned to TG 29.6, she departed August 21, 1944 transiting the Panama Canal by August 27 and steamed independently across the Pacific via Finschafen before anchoring at Seeadler Harbor on September 22, 1944. Assigned to ComSoWesPac to provide ammunition and explosives for vessels.
Steve Nazzise adds:
AEN1C Michael Kunz., CASU 49 adds:
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|