Stirling PT Boat Base (Treasury Base) was located on the shore of Stirling Island and anchorage in Blanche Harbor.
After the October 28, 1943 Allied landing on Mono Island and Stirling Island, PT Boat Squadron 9 arrived to setup a temporary base on Stirling Island, and began patrolling the area that evening. The 87th Construction Battalion "Seabees" built the dock and facilities for the base.
PT Boats from this base patrolled against Shortland and Bougainville during December 1943 - May 1944. Later in 1944 after combat operations slackened, this base was used for "combat training" by three PT Boat Squadrons, making nightly patrols on bypassed area on Bougainville and Choiseul, but rarely encountered enemy barges.
Later, the 87th Seabees had a boat "Misseabee", traded with YOGL-42 for an engine that was used for transport around the area, fishing trips and tours.
American units based at Stirling (Treasury)
Squadron 9 (PT Boats) arrived October 28, 1943
Squadron 19 (PT Boats) ? - April 19, 1944
Squadron 20 (PT Boats) April 19, 1944 - ?
Squadron 31 (PT Boats) was based here until December 1, 1943 then moved to Palau
Squadron 27 (PT Boats) arrived early May 1944
Higgins Boats Squadrons 19, 20, 23 divided between this base and Bougainville until April 1944, then all here.
The Earthmovers 1943-1945 pages 87, 128
At Close Quarters pages 140, 141, 159, 165,
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
February 4, 2018