|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
78' x 20' 8" x 5' 3'
4 x torpedo tubes
1 x 40mm cannon
2 x Twin .50 cal MG
2 x Single .50 cal MG
2 x 20mm cannon
1 x 60mm mortar
During the night of June 16-17, 1944 under the command of Lt. Thomas B. Creede, USNR commanding the "escort group" including PT-302, PT-303, PT-304, PT-305, PT-306 and PT-307. In total, 37 PT Boats that participated in an operation off Elba. The "Escort Group" was to escort landing craft from Porto Vecchio to Elba then escort four British rocket barges from Elba to Porto Vecchio. The "Escort Group" completed their mission successfully without enemy opposition.
During the night of April 19-20, 1944 under the command of Lt(jg) Richard A. Hamilton, USNR with PT-302 to fire three remaining Mark VII torpedoes into the harbor off Porto Maurizio and reported hearing a loud explosion and received no enemy fire.
During the night of April 23-24, 1944 under the command of Lt(jg) Richard A. Hamilton, USNR and Lt. Robert E. Nagle, USNR with PT-307 patrolled the Italian coastline and chased an enemy MAS that dropped depth charges in an attempt to discourage pursuit and began to pull away but was hit and stopped dead in the water and both PT Boats approached intending to board the vessel. On fire, they instead finished it off with 40mm gunfire until it exploded and sank. Afterwards, patrolled toward Nice and communicated with French forces off Cannes and completed the patrol without further action.
On May 4, 1945 combat operations ended in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO). PT-305 and remaining PT Boats in theater were ordered to Oran, Algeria for shipment back to the United States. In the United States, PT-305 was being overhauled in anticipation of being sent to the Pacific and was in New York when the Pacific War ended. On November 15, 1945 placed out of service and officially stricken from the Navy Register November 28, 1945.
Next, in 1963 sold to Bill Egerter of Point Pleasant Beach, NJ and renamed "Dauntless". Then in 1964 to Joseph Burns of Point Pleasant, NJ and renamed "Man O' War". In 1973 sold to James Nisbet of Hilton Head Island, SC and renamed "Vagabond". During 1979 sold for $73,875 to S & M, Inc. doing business as Vagabond Cruises, Inc. of Fort Myers, FL.
In 1984 sold to Capt. David Jones' Point Lookout Cruise Corp. of Point Lookout, VA. In 1988 sold to Howard R. Crow and David W. Crow of Tilghman Island, MD and renamed "Crow Brothers".
On March 1, 2011 purchased by Defenders of America Naval Museum, Inc. of Kemah, TX and renamed PT-305. Sometime afterwards, acquired by the National World War II Museum (D-Day Museum).
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|