Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
  PT-128 "Tug Boat Annie / Wunsanitesanuff / Hi-N' Dri"
80' Elco

56 Tons
80' x 20' 8" x 5'
1 x 40mm
1 x 20mm
1 x 37mm
2 x Twin 50 Cal MG
4 x 21" Torpedoes
Click For Enlargement
Justin Taylan 2012

Ship History
Built by Electric Boat Company (Elco) in Bayonne, NJ. Laid down May 21, 1942. Launched August 17, 1942. Completed September 1, 1942. Placed in service September 4, 1942. Assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 7 (MTBS 7) under the command of Lt. Rollin E. Westholm, USN.

Wartime History
Operated from Milne Bay PT Boat Base. During the Battle of the Bismark Sea, during the night of March 3, 1943 PT-67 and PT-128 under the command of Ensign James W. Herring saw Oikawa Maru on fire. PT-128 fired two torpedoes from 1,500 yards that missed, but saw an explosion thought they hit the target. The explosions was in fact caused by the torpedoes fired by PT-143 and PT-150. Afterwards, both searched further to the west but encountered a rain storm and heavy seas.

Operated from Morobe PT Boat Base. During the night of October 8-9, 1942 PT-128 under the command of Lt(jg) Lawrence M. Stutsman, USNR with PT-194 patrolled off the western end of New Britain through a narrow passage off Siassi Island. Off Grass Point, New Britain the pair observed black smoke off Lagoon Point and proceeded slowly towards the target, which proved to be enemy destroyers. Spotted, the destroyers opened fire and both PT Boats laid smoke and accidentally collided in their own smoke. PT-128 was damaged with a hole in the port side, but both were able to make top speed and escape.

Next, operated from Aitape PT Boat Base. During the afternoon of May 28, 1944 PT-128 and PT-131 departed for a patrol and revived word RAAF crew member Raymond A. Graetz from Beaufort A9-571 was alive near the mouth of the Danmap River, 35 miles east of Aitape and was located on the beach, injured and unable to swim, Lt. William W. Stewart and Ens Gregory J. Azarigian padded ashore in a rubber raft to rescue him, despite sniper fire.

On July 15 - 16, 1944 PT-133 and PT-128 under the command of Ensign T.E. Moran (USNR). attacked three barges off Cape Pus, sinking one and damaging the other two on the first run. As they were circling, a 40mm gun opened up from shore, its first round hitting PT-133 amidship setting gas tanks on fire and one crew man went overboard, for five minutes they fought the flames, then abandoned ship. The crew took to rubber rafts and ten minutes later the boat exploded, split into two sections and sank. PT-128 was holed in four places and had two wounded aboard. PT-143 was called in to pick up the men in the rafts.

On February 15, 1945 transfered to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 21 (MTBS 21) in the Philippines, under the command of Lt. Carl T. Gleason, USN.

Sinking History
On November 10, 1945 PT-128 was stripped and destroyed off Samar Island.

PT-128's builder's plaque is displayed in the PT Boat Museum aboard USS Massachuetts (BB-59) moored at Battleship Cove.

At Close Quarters PT Boats in the United States Navy pages 181, 187, 202-203, 241-242, 244, 469
Navy Source PT-128

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
February 4, 2018


  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram