|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
PT 103 Class
80' x 20' 8" x 3' 6"
4 x Torpedo Tubes
1 x 20mm gun
1 x 40mm gun
2 x Twin .50 cal MG
1 x 37mm (added later)
Built by Electric Boat Company (Elco) in Bayonne, NJ. Laid down March 30, 1942. Launched July 6, 1942. Completed July 24, 1942 and delivered to the U. S. Navy (USN) as PT-114. On September 28, 1942 placed into service with Motor Torpedo Squadron Five (MTBRon 5) and shipped overseas to the South Pacific (SOPAC).
On September 22, 1942 transfered to Motor Torpedo Squadron Six (MTBRon 6). During December 1942, PT-113 and PT-114 operated on detached duty with Motor Torpedo Boat Division Division (MTBD-17) and operated in New Guinea. During late March 1943, operated from Douglas Harbor on Cape Ward Hunt. On April 1, 1943 assigned to Motor Torpedo Squadron Eight (MTBRon 8).
On April 8, 1943 PT-114 under the command of Ensign Dean with U. S. Army General Horance H. Fuller (C. O. 41st Division) and Lt. Commander Atkins aboard departed Douglas Harbor on a mission to scout Morobe and the mouth of the Morobe River as a location for a future base. This location was later developed into Morobe River PT Boat Base (Morobe PT Boat Base).
At Close Quarters PT Boats in the United States Navy pages 57, 171, 174, 182-184, 213, 240, 426, 434, 452, 456-457, 459
Navy Source - PT-114
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|