Daihatsu Class Landing Craft
Known as the Daihatsu Class Landing Craft or 14m landing craft (大発) or known as "Large motorized boat" (大型発動機艇) or simply "Daihatsu". Developed by Daihatsu in 1924 and the first model was completed in 1930. The barge was capable of carrying either 70 men, 10-12 tons of cargo or a single Type 95 Ha-Go Light Tank. In 1932, a larger model was designed to transport a single Type 89 Yi-Go Medium Tank.
The Daihatsu has a steel hull and a spiral shaped propeller screw to allow landings in shallow depths. The bottom of the bow is W-shaped to stabilize the vessel while landing on the beach. An armor plate shield protected the pilot. A front ramp extended from the bow to allow load and unload of a vehicle or cargo. American Andrew Higgins of Higgins Industries reviewed photographs of Daihatsu landing craft and integrated features of into his LCP(L), LCP(R) and LCVP.
The Daihatsu Class was used by the Imperial Japanese Army and Imperial Japanese Navy during the Second SIno-Japanese War and Pacific War. The Daihatsu had no armament but was capable of being modified with additional armor and armed with 2 x Light Machine Guns and 2-3 25mm anti-aircraft guns.
6,000 built by Daihatsu.
Crew One (pilot)
Engine Gasoline or Diesel Engine 60 hp
Speed 9 knots
Capacity 70 troops or 10-12 tons cargo or a single Type 95 Ha-Go Light Tank
Armament None, capable of holding 2 x Light Machine Guns or 2-3 25mm AA guns