|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Mutsuki Class Destroyer
338' x 30' x 9'9"
4 x 4.7"
6 x Torpedoes
16 x Mines
2 x 7.7mm MG
USN August 1943
John Innes 2002
Justin Taylan 2003
Google Earth 2013
On January 23, 1942 escorted invasion force bound for Kavieng, then proceeded to Rabaul for patrol and escort duties. On January 31, 1942 assigned to commander Takemi Shimazui, commander of Comdesdiv 23 as his flagship.
On April 28, 1942 departed Truk as part of "Operation MO", the invasion of Tulagi. Destroyers Kikuzuki and Yuzuki are escorting Okinoshima (flagship of Rear Admiral Shima) plus Azumasan Maru, minelayer Koei Maru, subchasers Toshi Maru No. 3 and Tama Maru No. 8, special duty minesweepers WA-1 and WA-2, Hagoromo Maru, Noshiro Maru No. 2 and Tama Maru. On May 3, 1942 the invasion arrives in Tulagi Harbor and unloads.
During the attack, the SBD Dauntless fail to score any hits on the vessels. Eight TBD Devastators aim torpedoes at Kikuzuki, but miss. Possibly, due to aiming miscalculation from the cut water camouflage on her bow or due to faulty torpedoes.
As she got underway, TBD Devastator piloted by Ed Williamson released his torpedo and hit the starboard machinery room. The explosion killed twelve aboard and wounded fourteen others. Kikuzuki looses power and became dead in the water at roughly Lat 9° 7' South, Long 160° 12' East.
Damaged, the destroyer was taken under tow by subchaser Toshi Maru No. 3 and towed to Halavo Bay off Florida Island (Nggela Sule, Big Gela). On May 5, 1942 during high tide, Kikuzuki slid into the sea and sank into Halavo Bay.
During late 1943 when the salvage was complete, what remained was abandoned at Purvis Bay (Tokio Bay) and allowed to settle in shallow water with the bow pointed to the northwest and the stern southeast facing the edge of Florida Island (Nggela Sule, Big Gela).
Over the decades, more metal was salvaged from the shipwreck, leaving only the cut-down deck to the waterline. Only a few easily recognizable items remain including the gun mounts, a 4.7" gun barrel and a few portholes on the deck.
Morris Hall reports:
Justin Taylan visited in 2003:
During 2016, the one remaining 4.7" gun barrel was recovered by a Japanese group for restoration and display in Japan.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|