Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
Hiyō Class

26,949 Tons
719' 7" / 87' 7" / 26' 9"
12 x 5" (130 mm) guns
76 x 25mm AA guns
6 × 28 5 inch
Aircraft 53

Click For Enlargement
IJN Sept 26, 1945







Click For Enlargement
Justin Taylan 2007

Ship History
Laid down at Nagasaki as the passenger liner Kashiwara Maru but purchased by the Japanese Navy in 1940 along with her sister ship and converted to an aircraft carrier. Her sister ship became aircraft carrier Hiyō. Launched on June 26, 1941. Commissioned on May 3, 1942. Junyō means "Peregrine Falcon". Also spelled Jun'yō or Junyo in English.

Wartime History
At the start of the war, Junyō carried 21 x A5M4 Claude and 17 B5N2 Kate aircraft. She had a lower speed and smaller air group than the fleet carriers Shōkaku or Zuikaku.

During May 1942, Junyō was assigned to support the attack on Alaska, a diversion attack planned in conjunction with the Battle of Midway.

Alaska Operation
On June 1, 1942 Ryūjō arrived at Paramushiro Island in the Kurile Islands and departs the same day as part of the Japanese task force "Northern Force / Second Carrier Striking Force" bound for the Aleutian Islands.

On June 3, 1942, along with Ryūjō, she launched air strikes against Dutch Harbor and Unalaska Island. On June 5, 1942 she launched further strikes and was attacked by bombers but was not damaged.

Captain Okada Tametsugu assumed command on 20 July 1942. In late October 1942, during the Guadalcanal Campaign, Junyō took part in the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands. On 26 October 1942 her planes attacked the carrier USS Enterprise, the battleship USS South Dakota. She scored two hist on the light cruiser USS San Juan.

In mid-November 1942, she played a covering role in the three-day-long Naval Battle of Guadalcanal off Guadalcanal.

On January 16, 1943 departed Truk with a convoy.

On January 17, 1943 the Junyō detachment comprised of twenty-three A6M2 Zeros and six B5N2 Kates commanded by Lt Cdr Takashi Hashiguch took off from Junyo and flew via Rabaul to Wewak Airfield (Wewak Central) as the first Japanese aircraft to use the airfield. On thew ground, 120 personnel supported he aircraft. These aircraft were part of Operation MV to provide convoy protection as part of Hei I. While operating from Wewak, the airfield was still in civilian configuration. While based at Wewak, the detachment claimed four B-24s shot down, one B-24 damaged and three B-24 probables plus uncertain results against submarines. They suffered two planes (possibly B5N2 Kates) lost, two Zeros missing and ten Zeros damaged before departing on January 24, 1943 to Kavieng Airfield and on January 25, 1943 to Truk then returned to Junyō.

Involved in Operation Ke-Go.

During Operation I-GO during April 1943, her planes were sent to Ballale on April 7 and then Rabaul, with those of other Japanese carriers, for land-based attacks on the Allied forces gathering at Guadalcanal and New Guinea.

In June 1943, Junyō helped protect an important convoy sent to reinforce the Japanese garrison on Kiska.

On 5 November 1943 off Bungo Suido, Junyō was hit by a torpedo from USS Halibut. Four crew were killed and the steering damaged. Junyō was docked at Kure for repairs.

In May 1944, with Captain Shibuya Kiyomi in command, Junyō was assigned to Operation A-Go, a sortie to repulse the expected Allied invasion of the Mariana, Palau or Caroline Islands. In the resulting battle of the Philippine Sea on 20 June 1944 Junyō was hit by two bombs at about 17:30. Her smokestack and mast were destroyed and her deck damaged. Her air operations were stopped, but she was able to withdraw without further damage, unlike her sister ship Hiyō, sunk by torpedoes. However, most of her planes were lost in the battle.

After repairs at Kure, she was assigned to the Philippines but without planes she was unable to take part in the Battle of Leyte Gulf, being relegated to transport duties.

On November 3, 1944 she was attacked by the submarine USS Pintado (SS-387) near Cape Bolinao, Luzon but her escort destroyer Akikaze deliberately intercepted the torpedoes and sank with no survivors.

On 9 December 1944, Junyō was carrying 200 survivors of Musashi and was accompanied by the battleship Haruna and the destroyers Suzutsuki, Fuyutsuki, and Maki. The task force was attacked at midnight by the American submarines Sea Devil, Plaice and Redfish. Junyō was hit by three torpedoes, killing 19 men. Several compartments were flooded, giving her a 10°–12° list to starboard, but she was able to make way on one engine. Maki was also damaged by a torpedo. By 04:00 the Japanese task force entered shallow waters where the American submarines could not follow.

Junyō was dry docked at Kure, but repairs were abandoned in March 1945. The lack of materials, fuel and carrier planes meant that there was no need for fleet carriers. Junyō remained moored at Sasebo until the end of the war. She was scrapped in 1947.

Ship's Bell at Fordham University
The Junyō had a bell, was recovered by the U.S. Navy. [ Read Plaque ] Recovered on Saipan, the bell was donated to Fordham University by Admiral Chester W. Nimitz in 1944, "As a Memorial to Our Dear Young Dead of World War II." It was blessed by Cardinal Spellman, and "Was first rung at Fordham by the President of the United States, the Honorable Harry S. Truman on May 11, 1946, the Charter Centenary of the University."

Combined Fleet - IJN Junyo: Tabular Record of Movement
Thank to Richard Dunn for January 1943 Junyo detachment information

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
January 10, 2018


Photo Archive






























Google Earth
View in Google Earth

  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram