Located at Rabaul, across from the Anti-Aircraft & Search Light Bunker (aka "Yamamoto Bunker")
Built prior to the war. During January 1942, occupied by the Japanese and used as a Japanese Navy headquarters until late 1943, when the headquarters was relocated to underground tunnels to the north. During the Allied bombing of Rabaul, the building was largely destroyed.
Postwar, the club was rebuilt. During the 1994 volcano eruption, the New Guinea Club was again destroyed and afterwards rebuilt in the 2000s. Today, patches from wartime damage are visible on the walls.
The club opens only a couple of times a week, but contact the Hamamas Hotel (Rabaul Hotel). Inside is a displays of wartime relics and history related to Rabaul. Some wartime relics taken from storage at Kokopo Museum are included. There are also displays about the history of Rabaul, including the German era and cultural artifacts.
Steve Sunders adds:
"We still have lots of work to do on the museum, we have flora and fauna, town history, local culture etc. The old Lewis and wood peckers are going to serve as a guard of honor for the torch stand."