Opened in 1979 and is operated and maintained by the CAAM committee. The museum is housed in the historic Connellan Airways hangar at Araluen, adjacent to the then home of pioneer aviator Eddie 'E.J.'. Connellan.
The hangar was brought to Alice Springs in a prefabricated state from Sydney in 1939 and erected by Connellan and his staff as a headquarters for the operation of mail and medical flights throughout the Territory. The Araluen, or 'town aerodrome' as it was known, operated almost exclusively for mail, goods and medical purposes. All passenger flights operated from the ''nine mile aerodrome' south of town near the present airport.
The first flight out of the town aerodrome was in July 1939 when Eddie Connellan flew the 2,000 mile mail run to Wyndham in north-east Western Australia. The original airstrips ran north and south along Memorial Avenue, and east and west along Van Senden Avenue, In 1968 the facility was closed to allow for the expansion of the Gillen housing subdivision and operations moved to the existing airport.
The hangar, which was in disrepair, was restored by the committee in the late 1970's at a cost of around $25,000. The nearby ' Kookaburra Diorama' was opened in 1982.
The museum traces the history of aviation in Central Australia and the Northern Territory since the first De Havilland DH6 landed here in October 1921. Also, Drover Royal Flying Doctor Service Drover Aircraft. Dove, twin engined monoplane was mounted on its pedestal outside the museum in 1983. Westland Widgeon piloted by Hitchcock and Anderson crashed 1929 recovered in 1978 to the museum. The museum also includes an Australian built Kookaburra glider, a Derwent jet engine, a Rolls Royce Merlin engine, numerous aviation relics from various sources, historic photographs and memorabilia.
CA-6 Wackett A3-139
Pilot Knight crashed January 14, 1962, recovered to the museum in 1977.
Displayed at the museum