Yawata Island is a small island located at the northwest edge of reef fringing Truk Lagoon in Chuuk State (Truk) in the Federated States of Micronesia. The island had sparse vegetation. Located to the northeast of Taualap Passage. Known to the Japanese as "Yawata Shima".
During the Pacific War, a detachment of personnel from the Imperial Japanese Navy 43rd Naval Guard Force was stationed on the island with two 15cm
coastal defense guns with shields in open emplacements with a parapet capable of 360 degree field of fire capable of defending North Pass to the north and Taualap Passage, Falleallej Pass and Lelom Pass to the south. Installations included an ammunition
storehouses, a single barracks building 120' x 35 and mess building both painted with a dazzle camouflage pattern. Also, a fire control tower, generator building and pier.
After the February 17-18, 1944 "Operation Hailstone", the buildings were painted with darker camouflage and the guns removed to islands inside the lagoon. Instead, dummy guns were in their emplacements and the pier was relocated. Occupied by the Japanese until the official surrender of Japan.
American missions against Yawata Island
February 17–April 30, 1944
WWII Wrecks of the Truk Lagoon pages 94-95 (photo), 96 (photo), 150, 179, 183, 185, 192, 232-233, 238, 242-243, 247, 516 (index)
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 18, 2018