Northeast Island is located at the northeast edge of Truk Lagoon in Chuuk State (Truk) in the Federated States of Micronesia. Also known as "North East Island". To the south is Liball Island and North East Pass. Northeast Island is heavily forested with trees and vegetation.
Northeast Island was not developed with defense until later in the Pacific War. During the February 17-18, 1944 "Operation Hailstorm" U. S. Navy (USN) carrier aircraft raids, only a small native hut and a watchtower were observed, plus a two pits being dug for gun emplacements. Later, two 150mm coastal defense guns were emplaced on pedestals and partially protected by revetments with nearly a 360 degree field of fire manned by six men of the 43rd Naval Guard Force were stationed here to man the guns. The offshore area was mined with 200 land mines 30m offshore spaced 6m apart in two rows around the island's north side and one row around the other three sides.
On February 17, 1944 during Strike 3-D two SB2C Helldivers from VB-9 on USS Bunker Hill bombed the northern gun position on Northeast Island claiming near misses on the gun and strafed buildings.
WWII Wrecks of the Truk Lagoon pages 90, 218, 384, 511 (index)
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 25, 2018