Tongatapu Harbor (Tongatabu Harbor) borders Nukualofa (Nuku'alofa) on the north coast of Tongatapu (Western Tongatapu) in the Tonga Island Group.
Also known as "Nukualofa Harbor" or "Nuku'alofa Harbor". To the east is the Piha / Biha (Eastern Passage). To the north is Makaha'a, The Narrows and Ava Lahi (Great Passage). Pronounced "Nuke-ahh-lofa"
At the start of the Pacific War, Tongatapu Harbor was deemed to be undeveloped by the U. S. Navy (USN). On May 10, 1942 the first U. S. Navy (USN) convoy and personnel landed at Nukualofa. The 1st Construction Battalion (Seabees) built a concrete pier (main wharf), coral peir built and mine layer pier at Nukualofa.
During the Pacific War, used by U. S. Navy (USN) warships and transports as an anchorage. During early 1942, USS Yorktown CV-5 anchored in Tongatapu Harbor for upkeep until departing on April 27, 1942 bound for New Hebrides then participated in the Battle of the Coral Sea.
Nukualofa Harbor Seaplane Base
Seaplane operating in
Tongatapu Harbor with shore facilities at Nukualofa
The United States Invasion of Tonga In 1942 by Tom McLeod
Thanks to Tom McLeod for additional information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 25, 2018