Taivu Point and Taivu village are located on the north coast of Guadalcanal. To the north borders Iron Botton Sound and Lengo Channel. To the west is Tasimboko.
On August 19, 1942, the Japanese Army, 28th Infantry Regiment "Ichiki Regiment" under the command of of Colonel Kiyonao Ichiki landed 917 soldiers from destroyers at Taivu Point. Between Augusut 21-22, 1942 following the Battle of the Tenaru (Ilu River, Aligator Creek) roughly 30 survivors returned to Taivu Point to report their defeat and await new orders.
Between August 29 - September 4, "Tokyo Express" runs by light cruisers, destroyers, and patrol boats landed almost 5,000 troops at Taivu Point, including all of the 35th Infantry Brigade, one battalion of the Aoba Regiment, and the rest of Ichiki's regiment. General Kawaguchi landed at Taivu Point on the August 31 and was placed in command of all the Japanese troops on Guadalcanal.
By early September, Kawaguchi had 5,200 troops at Taivu Point and departed on September 5, 1942 bound for the Lunga perimeter to the west. About 250 Japanese troops remained as rear guard for the brigade's supply base at Taivu.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
July 9, 2017