Lat 7° 4' 46S Long 155° 51' 51E Korovou is located on the southeast corner of Shortland Island.
To the south is Tuha Channel, Shortland Harbor and Poporang Island. To the north is Kulitana
Bay and Lofang. To the northeast is Faisi Island. Also known as "Korouvo".
Bumbugiai Plantation (Bambagiai, Bambuggiai)
was established in the Korovou area and was planted with coconut palms for copra. At Korovou, a wharf was
constructed that served as the main wharf for the area and facilitated the loading of copra onto ships for export. Nearby were buildings and huts for copra storage and administration. These were the only structures on Shortland Island until the Pacific War.
On March 30, 1942 around 2:00am, Japanese vessels entered Shorthand Harbor and landed two Special Naval Landing Force (SNLF) platoons
in the early morning and met no resistance. One platoon remained in the area to begin establishing Shorthand Harbor Seaplane Base. Occupied by the Japanese for the duration of the Pacific War. This area was defended by anti-aircraft guns and fortifications.
Postwar, Korovou became the subprovincial headquarters of Western Province. Today, traces of wartime bunkers and fortifications and Japanese beer bottles remain in the area.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 25, 2018