|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
USMC August 7, 1942
Justin Taylan 2005
On August 7, 1942 U. S. Marines landed at Red Beach and occupied the Lunga Point area meeting little resistance. The Japanese defenders, mostly construction personnel fled the area, abandoning their camp.
During the Battle of Guadalcanal, Lunga Point and the Lunga River formed the western edge of the Marine perimeter protecting Henderson Field.
During the battle until the end of the Pacific War, Lunga Point was developed into a base area due to its proximity to the Lunga Point Anchorage and Henderson Field. Among the units based there was the U. S. Army 24th Infantry, 2nd Battalion (Negro) March 1 - August 6, 1943. The Lunga Point Anchorage was used as an anchorage for Navy vessels, small ships, landing craft and as a seaplane operating area.
At the end of the Pacific War, the Americans demolished the base using bulldozers to bury most of the equipment into pits.
After the war, all bodies where exhumed for burial elsewhere
Field (Lunga Point, Honiara)
1 (Lunga Field, The Cow Pasture)
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|