Lat 5° 52' 0S Long 144° 13' 0E Mount Hagen is the largest town and provincial capital of Western Highlands Province in Papua New Guinea at an elevation of 6,709' / 2,044m. During the German colonial era, known as "Hagensberg". Also known as simply "Hagen" to locals. Named after Mount Hagen located to the northwest. To the north is Ogelbeng (Ogelbang).
During 1933 Mick Leahy, Dan Leahy and Jim Taylor made a flight over the highlands and discovered the Wahgi Valley. Later, Mick Leahy and Dan Leahy mounted an expedition into the Western Highlands and became the first westerners to to enter the area that later became Mount Hagen. During their visit, they built a landing ground at Kelua to facilitate further exploration. During 1934 a new airfield known as Mogei Drome or 'Mogai Aerodrome was established in present day Mount Hagen. The runway later became main street near Chinatown. Later, Mount Hagen Airfield was built further to the east. During 1939 Patrol Officer (kiap) Leigh Vial was stationed at Mount Hagen.
Built during 1934 by Mick Leahy and Dan Leahy as the first landing ground in the area
Mogei Airfield (Mogai)
Built during 1934 in present day Mount Hagen. Today the former runway became main street
Mount Hagen Airfield (Mt. Hagen Airfield)
Wartime airfield, still in use today
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
February 4, 2018