2° 1' 60S Long 147° 22' 0E Lombrum is located on Los Negros near Manus.
After Los Negros was captured during March 1944, the US Navy established a massive base at Lombrum along side Seeadler
Harbor. Thousands of buildings, shops and sheds were erected. At Lorengau,
supply and repair facilities were created. Wharves and floating
in the harbor.
Lombrum Seaplane Base
After the American liberation of Los Negros in March 1944,
a seaplane base seaplane ramp and repair dock were constructed with seaplane anchorage.
After the initial stages of operations, signal communications
between Army, Air Corps, and Naval forces were greatly improved by
the arrival of the 99th Signal Battalion at Salami on March 16. This
unit took over the switchboards and was responsible for all wire
communications on Los Negros until April 20. On 9 April a radio station
and message center was set up at Salami Plantation by a section from
the 832d Signal Service Company.
Construction begun soon after the landings, were finished
by the end of the official campaign. A floating Liberty dock, a fixed
Liberty dock, and a pile dock at Mokerang were ready for use. An LST
pile dock was almost complete and a pipeline jetty had been built at
Porlaka. Channels into the harbor were also improved and buoyed and
a crib dock constructed.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 11, 2018