Lat 10° 19' 60S Long 150° 20' 60E Ladava village is located at the western end of Milne
Bay on the north coast of New Guinea bordering Gahora Bay.
Gurney Airfield (No. 1 Strip, Fall River)
Built prior to the Battle of Milne Bay, used during the war. Still in use today as Milne Bay's airport
Located a half mile south of Ladava. Anchorage used by the U. S. Navy (USN). During 1943, USN 84th Construction Battalion "Seabees" based at Ladava developed shore facilities bordering Gahra Bay.
Ladava US Navy Base
During 1943, US Navy 84th Construction Battalion "Seabees" developed a base at this location, building roads, piers, jetties and housing for 30 officers and 1,000 enlisted men. On October 21, 1943 they were relieve by the
91st Battalion. Piers, jetties, roads,
hospital, electric, communications and housing for 75 officers and
1,000 enlisted men were built. On November 29, 1943 Seabees 3rd Brigade, 12th Regiment and setup their headquarters at Ladava and
commanded all Seabees in the area. The 528th CBMU arrived in January
1944 and finished the headquarters. During 1945, the base was closed and materials were salvaged
from the area for shipment to more forward areas.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 11, 2018