10° 4' 60S Long 147° 43' 0E Hula village is located on Hood Point to the west
of Port Moresby bordering Beagle Bay to the northwest and Hood Bay to the east. The mouth of the Kemp Welch River empties into Hood Bay to the east of Hood Point. On June 23, 1876, the first Anglican missionary Dr. W. G. Lawes arrived at Hula.
Until the 1970s, Hula village was built over the sea on huts atop stilts. In 2015, Hula is comprised mostly of homes on Hood Point, although a few are still on stilts over the sea. Many pieces of Marston Matting (PSP) remain in the village used as fences or other purposes.
Hula Airfield (Hood Point Airfield)
Emergency Airstrip used by USAAF and RAAF during the war
F-4 Lightning 41-2122
force landed December 5, 1943
Dr. Lawes Memorial
Stone memorial inside a fenced enclosure with white and red tiles forming a cross and a plaque that reads:
"This stone was dedicated on 23rd June 1976 to commemorate the arrival in Hula of the Christian missionary Dr. W. G. Lawes on 23rd June 1876. Man who has hazard his life for the name of our lord Jesus Christ"
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 25, 2018