is located at the southwestern end of Fairfax Harbor to the west of Port Moresby and south of Napa Napa. The Motu name for the island is "Hanudamua Island". Today located in the National Capital District (NCD) in Papua New Guinea (PNG).
During the war, a gun battery and positions were constructed on the eastern side of the island. During the 1950s, the western
side of the island was used as a leper colony. Today, the
island is empty and uninhabited.
Gemo Island Battery (Gemo Battery)
In mid-April, 1944, the Australian 8th Army Troops
Company / Royal Engineers built a gun battery facing east. It accommodated
two 6 pound guns, with a concrete ammunition storage area and bunker
behind it. They used building
materials transported to the island
by barge and a small trolley system. Also, two pillboxes on the beach.
The battery and pillboxes are still present to this day. The position
also included a small
that is gone.
PBY-5 Catalina A24-15
Pilot Sloane crashed December 8, 1941
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 25, 2018