Gamadodo village is located the southern coast of Milne Bay.
Navy Supply Depot Development
On July 8, 1943 two companies of the 84th Battalion "Seabees" setup
camp at this location. They built a permanent camp, 10 ammunition magazines,
8.5 miles of road were built and a housing facility for 4,000 men,
hospital for 50 patients, 40 x 900' wharf, 20 quonset huts and 54,400
cubic feet of cold storage space. The 15th Special Battalion arrived
in December 1943 to man the wharf. A detachment of the 105th Battalion
arrived in January 1944 to build another sawmill, and a pier for Liberty
Ships. An advance base construction depot 120,000 square feet in area,
possibly the largest single building in New Guinea. By July 1945 this
faculty was torn down and crated for shipment to a more forward area.
During early 1944, a US Navy pontoon assembly detachment 3 began operations at Gamadodo,
near Ladava and No.
1 Strip (Gurney Airfield). This group assembled pontoon
cells and barges. The pontoon wharves in the bay are still present to
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 11, 2018