|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Lat 7° 46' 60S Long 146° 26' 60E Bulldog is located at the northern end of Lakekamu River. From Bulldog, the Bulldog Track extends to the east following the Aiu Avi River past "Base Camp" (Bulldog Basecamp or Bulldog Camp) and then turns to the northeast. Also known as "Bulldog Camp", "Bulldog Base" or "Bulldog Base Area". Today located in Gulf Province in Papua New Guinea (PNG). Known to the Japanese as "Burudokku".
Bulldog or Bulldog Camp was established at the northern end of Lakekamu River. Although the river is which is very shallow and requires canoes or flat bottom boats to be dragged or poled up the river to reach this location.
In early March 1942 Australian Army Captain Allan Cameron and his men withdraw from Salamua Airfield via Wau then across the Bulldog Track to the south coast.
During late June 1942 to early July 1942, war photographer and cinematographer Damien Parer with journalist Osmar White were transported aboard the schooner Royal Endeavour to the mouth of the Tauri River then up the Lakekamu River to Bulldog and walked the Bulldog Track with Australian Army soldiers including Cpl Dick Paul and Cpl Vic Helton plus native carriers northward to Wau recorded 35mm cine footage along the track.
Damien Parer wrote about Bulldog Camp via Damien Parer's War (2003) by Neil McDonald page 180:
"This is the camp where all the native carriers start from. As there are about a thousand of these going back and forth from Wau (a distance of seven days walk) all sickness is a serious matter, and what is done with small means by Vic [Cpl Vic Helton] is a miracle. The NGVR men (old New Guinea hands) are worth their weight in gold. They know how to handle the native carriers and know the country backwards... handling the native carriers is a very ticklish business and it wouldn't take much to send them scurrying off to the bush and without them we couldn't get any cargo through... All I have met so far have been doing a cracker job in these lonely outposts."
On June 2, 1943 sixteen Japanese Army Air Force (JAAF) Type 99 Light Bomber / Ki-48 Lily from the 208th Sentai escorted by Type 1 fighter / Ki-43 Oscars from the 24th Sentai attacked Bulldog Airfield and Bulldog. One of the attackers, Ki-48 Lily piloted by Lt. Ezaki failed to return, unknown if due to weather or damage sustained over the target. On the ground, the Australians observed sixteen unidentified Japanese planes attacking with three of fifteen bombs hit the runway and strafing severely damaged a parked C-47 Dakota (damage and identity unconfirmed: RAAF or USAAF). On the ground five were wounded including two Europeans and three natives. Due to the air raid, 500-700 natives in the area fled in fright, disrupting construction and labor.
In middle 1943, the 46th Australian Camp Hospital detachment was established at Bulldog. During the middle of 1943, Bulldog was used as a base camp to support the construction efforts by the Royal Australian Engineers, 11th Australian Division with Papuan laborers to upgrade of the Bulldog Track walking trail into the Bulldog Road (Reinhold Highway) suitable for vehicles.
Bulldog Railway Line (Bulldog Tramway Line, Bulldog Tram Line)
The Australian Army constructed a rail road (also described as a tram line) from Bulldog (Bulldog Base) to the southeast across a sago swamp to the unloading point dubbed Grim Point (Kunimaipa). The rail road line was 7 miles (11 km) in length using 1067 gauge rails (3' 6" width). This railway line bypassed the Tivari River branch of the Lakekamu River. Due to a shortage of materials including rails and rolling stock plus difficult terrain including sink holes in the sago swamp, the effort was abandoned.
Bulldog Track (Bulldog Road, Bulldog-Wau Road, Reinhold Highway)
Bulldog was the start of the Bulldog Track northeast over the mountains to Wau.
Wartime airfield, disused to this day.
Possibly this aircraft is P-39Q 42-20031 pilot Fenn crashed October 28, 1943
P-39Q Airacobra Serial Number 42-19959
Pilot Melville crashed October 28, 1943 discovered postwar
Movietone "The Most Amazing Supply Route" cine footage by Damien Parer late June to early July 1942
The Sydney Morning Herald "Building The Bulldog Road An Australian Engineering Triumph" May 20, 1944
"Once when the Japanese bombed Bulldog 500 natives deserted in a body. Early in August 400 others were withdrawn for work in an operational area. A plan to bring by air 1,000 more natives from a mountain tribe living far in the interior was frustrated by inability to obtain fighter cover for the transport planes."
AWM "War Supply route" F01213 cine footage by Damien Parer July 2, 1942- July 15, 1942
End of the Line (1997) pages 90 (map, PNG), 99, 101 (map), 104 (footnote 29, N. Roberts Villagers at War page 58), 164 (appendix, list of rail roads: Bulldog), 167 (index Bulldog)
Damien Parer's War (2003) by Neil McDonald pages 174, 180, 363 (index Bulldog Camp)
To Salamaua (2010) by Phil Bradley pages 95, 100, 362 (index Bulldog Camp)
Hell's Battlefield (2012) by Phil Bradley pages 26, 39, 223, 486 (index Bulldog)
Map Tram Line 1943
Map Bulldog Road 1944
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|