Lat 3° 36' 0S Long 143° 41' 60E Brandi is located on the north coast of New Guinea. Borders Boram Bay to the north and the Brandi River to the west. To the northwest is Cape Moem and Dove Bay further to the west is Wewak.
Brandi Plantation was established at this location planted with coconut palms harvesting copra.
In January 1943 occupied by the Japanese Army and developed into a base area with a hospital and an Indian Prisoners Of War Camp (POW Camp) surrendered at Singapore and used as laborers. During 1944, attacked by Allied aircraft. Occupied by the Japanese until May 1945.
American missions against Brandi
March 16, 1944–July 3, 1944
Built postwar, Brandi High School is located at Brandi. During the 1970's students discovered many Japanese relics
hidden in the jungle, and recovered them to the school
yard for display. Included are a search light,
a 20mm anti-aircraft gun Type 98, range finder, propeller
and bomb casing. These relics are displayed
outside the school.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 25, 2018