Lat 9° 28' 3S Long 147° 11' 45E Boroko is an area to the east of Port Moresby. Boroko includes Taurama Barracks, Murry Barracks, Arcadia, 4 Mile and Goldie Barracks. Today located in the National Capital District (NCD) of Papua
New Guinea (PNG).
Army Barracks located at the intersection of Taurama Road and Rigo Road.
Located outside Port Moresby. Named in honor of Sir Hubert Murray, Lieutenant
Governor of Papua from the turn of the century until his death a
few years before the WWII. In the 36th Battalion War Diaries,
it mentions they were stationed at Murray Barracks both before and
after their campaign at Buna-Gona.
During World War II, the intersection at Boroko was dubbed "Arcadia" by an U. S. Army African American
(Negro) soldier who was tasked with directing traffic at this location. Since the location
did not have a name, the soldier was asked to give it a name, and
dubbed it "Arcadia" a reference to the Greek Province of the same name and a poetic term for utopia. Postwar during the colonial period still known as Arcadia and even to this day.
U. S. Military Cemetery
Located near Murray Barracks and the hill where Garden Hill Estate is now located, noted on 1943 maps. After the war, the American graves were exhumed and transported to Manila, Hawaii or back to the United States for permanent burial.
Barracks near Port Moresby. Today still in use by the Papua New Guinea Defense Force (PNGDF).
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
October 23, 2019