Bitokara is located on a hilltop on eastern side of the Willaumez Peninsula off the north coast of New Britain. Talasea is to the southeast and Mount Schleuther to the south. Volupai is located to the northwest.
During the 1920s, a Catholic church and a mission station and large mission building was established at this location prewar. A track connected Bitokara to Talasea.
On March 6, 1944 the United States Marine Corps (USMC) landed at Volupai (Red Beach) and advanced to Bitokara and Taleasea. The 1st Marine Division, 3rd Battalion, 5th Regiment, K Company established their headquarters at this location. On
March 11, 1944 Col Sith and his EO Col Henry W. Buse with a color guard
raised the American flag outside the Bitokara Church,
the same flag raised at Cape Gloucester Airfield on December 31, 1943.
Located near Bitokara between Volupai and Sealant. On March 9, 1944
attacked by Company G while Company C and cleared villages around the base.
Japanese emplaced a gun on the mountain and rigged booby traps that wounded one
USMC Historical Monograph The Campaign on New Britain Chapter 10 Talasea pages 153, 156, 158, 159, 160, 162, 163, 164, 167, 168, 169
The Numundo Patrol & Tanga Na Wo (Place of War) by Cecilie Benjamin
Cecilie Benjamin for additional information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 25, 2018