Lat 9° 26' 8S Long 147° 8' 28E Barune is an area of Port Moresby located near Kaevaga. Also spelled "Barume". Today located in the National Capital District (NCD) of Papua New Guinea (PNG).
Barune village was located at this location.
During the Pacific War, the Barune Road connected to Port Road at the Tatana Island causeway at the edge of Fairfax Harbor and spanned to the noth and west towards Wards Dump and Barune Dump to the northeast.
Barune Dump (Barune Tip)
During the wartime era, Americans began dumping garbage at this location associated with the nearly 200,000 Allied troops in the area produced. Since the war, it continues to be used as a dump area for the city.
116th Station Hospital (Port Moresby)
US Army hospital built near Barune village. At its height in 1943 was the largest hospital in the southern hemisphere. At its height, it was capable of performing any medical procedure possible in the United States and use for American patients until the 117th Station Hospital was created at Nadzab. The hospital was dismantled at the end of the war. Today, only concrete pads where buildings once stood remain. The hospital's water supply still and are used by locals. Roads, culverts and other engineering architecture also remain.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
October 23, 2019