Lat 14° 34' 0N Long 120° 58' 60E Located at the southern end of Manila. Borders Manila Bay to the west, Ermita to the northwest, Pasay to the south, and Paco and San Andres to the east.
Binodo Church (Malate Church)
Quintin Paredes Street
Also known as Church of our Lady of the Rosary / Shrine of San Lorenzo Ruiz. faces a small park and beyond that Manila Bay in the Chinatown area. The church was built originally on this spot in the sixteenth century by the Augustinians, during the latter part of the 16th century to accommodate the Christian baptized Chinese and is one of the oldest churches in Manila outside of Intramuros. Noted for its six-story octagonal bell tower the shrine of the first canonized Filipino-Chinese martyr and saint, San Lorenzo Ruiz. British soldiers took refuge in this church during their occupation of the Philippines and attack on Intramuros in 1762-63. Destroyed in 1773, rebuilt. During World War II, the church was badly damaged and later restored again.
Fort San Antonio Abad (Fuerte de San Antonio Abad)
in the Malate district of Manila. Built by the Spanish began during 1584. The fort was triangular shaped with two bastions to guard Manila Bay, the rear approach to Intramuros and the road from Manila to Cavite. Named in honor of Saint Anthony the Abbott. Outfitted with cannons to guard Manila Bay and used as an alternative location for gunpower storage aside from the Polverin (Powder Magazine) near Bastion de San Diego at Intramuros posed.
During 1782, British forces led by Brigadier-General William Draper occupied the fort and setup an artillery battery that fired at Intramuros in support of their naval bombardment from Manila Bay. Afterwards, rebuilt by the Spanish.
During the Spanish American War, the fort was bombarded by US Navy ships during the Battle of Manila Bay, damaging the outer walls. On August 13, 1898 the American flag was raised when US Army forces of the 1st Colorado Regiment, 1st Batallion led by Lt. Col McCoy occupied the fort, becoming the first location in the Philippines occupied by American. During 1942-1945 Japanese forces occupied the fort and built a coment bunker inside and emplaced cannons. Damaged by bombing.
Located between Roxas Blvd. and Service Road to the west and A. Mabini to the east. During the 1970s, the fort was restored when the new Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (Central Bank of the Philippines) complex was constructed along Roxas Blvd. Located between the Central Bank building and the Metropolitan Museum of Manila. Used as a venue for receptions sponsored by the Central Bank or the museum. Displayed inside are Spanish 8" muzzle loading gun on a concrete mount.
Pigboat 39 page 17 mentions "Fort San Antonio"
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 25, 2018