Corregidor Island is located
at the entrance to Manila Bay. To the west is the South China Sea. To the north is North Channel and the Bataan Peninsula. To the south is the south channel and Cavite. To the southeast is Caballo
Island (Fort Hughes) and El Fraile (Fort Drum). Also
know as "The Rock" or "Fort Mills".
Corregidor Island was developed by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers into Fort Mills as part of the Manila Bay defenses with gun batteries, mortars, anti-aircraft guns, tunnels and airfield.
World War II History
On December 21, 1941 Corregidor became the headquarters for U. S. Naval Defense forces. After the Japanese Army occupied Bataan and Cavite, their artillery began bombarding Corregidor while Japanese aircraft bombed and strafed to soften up the defenses.
Japanese missions against Corregidor
January 4 - May 6, 1942
By order of President Roosevelt, U. S. Army General
MacArthur and his family plus other senior staff members were evacuated from Corregidor PT-32, PT-34, PT-35 and PT-41
during the night of March 11-12, 1942 and transported to Mindanao where they were flown aboard B-17s to Darwin, Australia
May 5, 1942 a force of 2.000 Japanese Army troops under the command of General Homma
launched an amphibious assault on Corregidor supported by a heavy bombardment from artillery and aircraft. Despite determined American resistance,
was officially surrendered on May 6, 1942.
During the Japanese occupation of Corregidor, only one Japanese Army reinforced company of approximately 300 men defended the island. The Japanese used approximately 500 Prisoners Of War (POW) to repair installations, perform cleanup
and collect scrap for shipment to Japan. The prisoners remained on the island until shortly before the 1945 liberation. As American
forces approached, approximately 6,000 Japanese mostly Navy troops occupied the
island. During 1945, extensive American bombing missions, U. S. Navy (USN) bombardment and
mine clearing operation proceeded the liberation of Corregidor.
American missions against Corregidor
January 23 - March 1, 1945
15, 1945 C-47 Dakotas dropped paratroopers from the U. S. Army
Parachute Regiment at the center of Corregidor at Topside. Meanwhile, an amphibious landing was made by the U. S. Army 34th Infantry
Division between Cavalry Point and Infantry Point on the north
coast, and another landing was made west of San Jose on the southern coast to capture Malinta Hill.
defended from caves, and launched banzai charges. On February 21, 1945 they set off demolition
charges blowing up Malinta Hill. On
February 25, the 151st Infantry arrived to replace the 34th Infantry
Division. In total, the battle to liberate Corregidor
lasted twelve days, and resulted in 225 KIA
and MIA plus 645 WIA on the American side. Nearly
all the Japanese defenders were killed, totaling 4,500 killed with an estimated 500 buried alive in caves, plus 200 killed trying to swim away. Only 20 prisoners were captured.
Corregidor is a protected Philippines National Park,
A small population lives on the island, to maintain the grounds
and guide tourists. Most people choose the short day trip
by fast catamaran from Manila, which includes a guided bus tour
around some of the more significant sites. For the more serious
visitor, there is a nice hotel, and our stays have been up to ten
days, much to the amazement of the locals.
A battery of four mortars, capable of firing in
any direction. The last of the four mortars was still firing
when the Japanese landed, and Allied forces removed its breech
block prior to capture. Today, it is one of
the main tourist attractions on Corregidor Island tour.
Located in the west central inland part of the Corregidor. The battery faces a northwesterly direction, primarily to cover the approached to the North Channel, but was capable of covering the entire channel.
A mortar battery built into a hollow on the southern coast of Corregidor. Hit by a a 240mm round penetrated the center magazine, detonating a massive explosion of 40 tons of explosives that utterly destroyed the battery, leaving a large crater where the magazine formerly was.
A battery of four mortars, capable of firing in any direction. The last of the
four mortars was still firing when the Japanese landed, and Allied forces removed
its breech block prior to capture.
Battery Smith was
range (26 miles) flat trajectory 12" gun. There
were two of these weapons curiously exposed like
the other being Battery Hearn. Perhaps they didn't
build a parapet so as to allow depression of the
guns bordering the South China Sea. Each could
traverse a full 360 degrees.
Battery Hearn was a long
range (26 miles) flat trajectory 12" gun bordering the South China Sea. During the defense
of Corregidor by the Americans, this gun was used
to fire at Japanese forces on Bataan, but only
AP shells were available causing limited damage.
Located near the
the old YMCA building. This battery of three six-inches
received a hit on its magazine during allied air bombardments
and there is an enormous crater and one of the huge
gun mounts lies on its side at the rim.
The battery faces towards the southwest, but could easily lay fire upon Mariveles to the north west. Battery Wheeler was constructed between 1904 and 1919.
Located on the southwestern corner of the island bordering the South China Sea. This battery had two 12" guns on M1901 disappearing gun carriages
Carved by the Japanese, along the tracks at Battery
Rock Point and Middle side.
Mile Long Barracks
'Mile Long Barracks' it was said to be the longest barracks in
the world (although not actually a mile long). Heavily damaged during the capture and liberation of
the island, the ruins are still standing today.
The original flagpole. After liberator, on March 2 1945. General Douglas MacArthur awarded Colonel George M. Jones,
paratrooper commander a DSC and made the famous quote: "I
see the old flagpole still stands. Have your troops hoist
the colors to
haul them down."
Topside Barracks (Topside)
Prewar barracks building.
Malinta Tunnel (Malinta Hill)
Located roughly in the center
of the island. This massive underground headquarters and supplies
storage area for the USAFFE.
Runway on the eastern end of Corregidor.
Located on the north side of the island, to the west of Kindley Field
To the SW of Battery Kysor.
Medical Marker / General Wainwright Memorial
Located on the south coast of the island, near the south
Landing point on the south side of the island, roughly in
Battery Maxwell Keyes
Located to the SW of Kindley Field, on the south side of the
Naval Radio Intercept Tunnel
Located to the east of Battery Maxwell Keyes.
Filipino Heroes Memorial / President
Located to the SE of Battery Kysor.
Located on the island.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
February 4, 2018