Lat 39° 50′ 0″ N, Long 127° 36′ 0″ E Hŭngnam is a port city located on the eastern coast of the Korean peninsula bordering the Sea of Japan. Eight miles inland is Hamhung. Also spelled Hungdogil-tong, Hungdong-ni, Hŭngdŏki-dong, Hungnam-dong, Hŭngdong-ni, Hungyam, Hungdok-2-dong, Hŭngnam-ni, Hŭngdŏk-2-dong, Hŭngdŏgil-tong, Hŭngnam-dong, Hungdogi-dong, Hŭngdŏgi-dong, Konan, Hungbong-ni, Hŭngnam, Hungnam-ni, Kōnan, Hungdok-tong, Hungdoki-dong, Hŭngdŏk-tong, Hŭngbong-ni or Hungnam.
During the early 1940s, Japanese scientists built the first cyclotron at Hŭngnam as part of the Japanese atomic program. At the end of the war, the cyclotron was
seized by the Soviet military.
Used by United Nations forces until late December 1950
After the Battle of Chosin Reservoir, United Nations forces made a fighting withdrawal to the coast, away from advancing Chinese forces. During mid-late December 1950, Hŭngnam was used in the evacuation of United Nations military forces and
North Korean civilians. In total, approximately 100,000 troops including US Marines from the 1st Marine Division and 7th Infantry Divsion plus 100,000 civilians were loaded onto a variety of ships and military transports and were transported to safety to Pusan and Pohang in South Korea. Afterwards, the town and harbor facilities were rigged for demolition to deprive them from advancing Communist forces. A nitrate plant was demolished by US Navy Underwater Demolition Team (UDT), Detatchment Bravo under the command of Lt. Mack M Boynton. Other UDT frogmen rigged harbor facilities, docks, piers, buildings and dumps for demolition. On December 24, 1950 USS Begor APD-127 evacuated the UDT teams and the charges were detonated.
UN forces withdraw from Hungnam and port establishments being blown up during the Korean War December 24, 1950
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 11, 2018