Lat 39° 55' 6N Long 127° 32' 11E Located on the left branch of the Sŏngch'ŏn River, on the eastern part of the Hamhŭng plain of northeastern North Korea. Also known as Hienhing, Kanko, Kankō, Hamheung and Hamhŭng.
Occupied by the Japanese until August 29, 1945 when Soviet forces occupied the area.
During the Korean War, 80-90% of Hamhung was destroyed.
Konan Camp (Konan POW Camp)
Lat 39° 52' N Long 127° 35' E Located near Konan in Hamhung. During the Pacific War, this location was the site of the Konan Camp. British and Australian prisoners from Singapore were interred at this location and forced to work stoking the carbide furnaces at Nichitsu Nitrogen Fertiler Company. After the surrender of Japan, a large "PW" was painted on the roof of the main building, to mark the location from the air. On August 29, 1945 occupied by Soviet forces that found over 350 British and Australian Prisoners of War in the camp. The highest ranking officer was Major Morris. The Soviets did not release the Prisoners of War until September 21, 1945 allowing the prisoners to take a train to Kanko to Hinsen where they were transfered to American hospital ship USS Mercy (AH-8) then steamed for Manila for processing.
B-29 "Buckin' Bronc / Hog Wild" 44-70136 Tail Z28
Queen crash landed August 29, 1945
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
February 4, 2018