Sand Island is located at the entrance to Pearl
Harbor off Oahu within the city limits of Honolulu. During the 1800s, used to quarantine ships and known as "Quarantine Island". Also known as Kush Island.
Following the December 7, 1941 Japanese surprise attack against Pearl Harbor and Oahu,
Established December 8, 1941 Sand Island became a
U. S. Army internment camp and detained the first Japanese Prisoners Of War (POW), Kazuo Sakamaki (POW No. 1) commander of HA-19 Type A midget submarine (Midget C) beached at Waimanalo.
Between December 8, 1941 until March 1943 when the camp closed, Sand Island was used to detain Japanese, German, Italian and other Axis nationals rounded up in Hawaii as suspects. In total, over 600 people were detained at Sand Island until the camp was closed when internment camps were established in the United States. After Sand Island closed in March 1943, 149 remaining detainees were transfered to Honouliuli Internment Camp near Waipahu on Oahu.
Later, Sand Island was again used to hold Japanese and Korean Prisoners Of War (POW) captured in the Pacific. In September 1945 at the end of the Pacific War 1,010 Koreans and 952 Italians were detained on the island.
Sand Island has a Hawaii state recreation area, a U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) base, wastewater treatment facility, and industrial facilities. There is no evidence of the wartime detention center or memorials.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 25, 2018