Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
Japanese missions against Pearl Harbor and Oahu (O'ahu)
December 7, 1941 - March 3, 1942

December 7, 1941
Japanese carrier aircraft attacked Pearl Harbor and installations on Oahu.

March 4, 1942
During the night of March 4, 1942 two Kawanishi H8K Emily flying boats from the 24th Air Flotilla, based at Jaluit and Wotje took off on a bombing mission against Pearl Harbor. The target was obscured by clouds, one dropped their bombs harmlessly onto Mount Tantalus. The released its bombs into the sea.

"Operation K" was conceived as a retaliation for the U.S. raid against the Marshalls in early February 1942. Japanese seaplanes used the French Frigate Shoals, as a rendezvous point. To avoid detection, the planes headed south between Kauai and Niihau before heading to the western tip of Oahu. The Emilys closed formation and approached Kaena Point at 15,000'. Some clouds were observed over the Koolau mountain range and in the direction of Pearl Harbor. The two flying boats continued on an eastward course to bring them north of Pearl Harbor, where they intended to turn south for their bomb run, bombing the "Ten-Ten" dock.

Over the target, clouds obscured Oahu and lights on the ground were blacked out. Crewmen aboard plane No.1 thought they saw Ford Island, and Hashizume made a rapid turn to the left to circle back over the target. Hashizume dropped his four 250kg bombs sometime between 2:10-2:15 am, impacting the southen slope of Mount Tantalus. The bombs landed roughly 1,000' from Roosevelt High School, creating four bomb craters 6–10' deep and 20–30' across and shattered windows. No other damaged was caused. Later, an examination of the bomb fragments, identified them as Japanese and identical to those dropped during the December 7, 1941 raid.

Meanwhile, Tomaro misunderstood the order and continued southward, becoming separated from Hashizume. When the mistake was discovered, Tomaro reversed course and dropped his four 250kg bombs by direct reckoning at 2:30am. These bombs landed in the ocean, either off the coast of Wai'anae or near the sea approach to Pearl Harbor.

The same cloud cover that obscured the target enabled the raiders to escape undetected. American P-40 Warhawks were unable to locate the bandits and returned to their bases, while the PBY Catalinas searched in vain for them. For a time, the Army and Navy blamed the each other for an avaitor accidentally released their bombs on Mount Tantalus before returning to base. Many Oahu residents still believe that this is what happened. At the time it was believed that no Japanese plane had the range to make the round trip from their nearest bases at Wake Island or the Marshall Islands.

Afterwads, the two flying boats then flew southeast toward the Marshall Islands. Sasao returned as planned to Wotje atoll, but Hashizume's airplane had sustained hull damage while taking off from French Frigate Shoals. Fearing the primitive base at Wotje was insufficient to repair the damage, Hashizume proceeded non-stop to Jaluit, making his flight the longest bombing mission in history up to that point.

May 30, 1942
The Japanese Navy planned a reconnaissance mission over Pearl Harbor on May 30, 1942. It was canceled when three submarines: I-121, I-122 and I-12 discovered that French Frigate Shoals were under close observation by the US Navy. Had the reconnaissance mission proceeded, Admiral Yamamoto might have learned that USS Yorktown, USS Enterprise and USS Hornet were at Pearl Harbor, information that might have been taken into consideration for the upcoming Battle of Midway.

  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram