Kangu Hill has an elevation of 227' near the southern coast of Bougainville Island. To the southeast is Kangu. To the northeast is Jajohina Mission (Buin Mission), Ship Anchorage (Erventa Harbor, Buin Harbor), Moliko River (Muliko River), Lamuai, Moisuru and Moisuru Bay. During the Pacific War, the Japanese referred to this feature as "Mount Buin", "Mt. Buin" or "Buin Mountain".
Jakohina mission and a government station were established at the base of Kangu Hill. During the Pacific War, both were destroyed by American bombing.
During 1942, occupied by the Japanese, and developed into a headquarters area for the Army and Navy. Heavily fortified with Type 89 127mm anti-aircraft guns with a range finder. Tunnels were dug into the hillside for an underground hospital and radio station powered by a nearby generator bunker.
After the Japanese surrender in September 1945, this area was occupied by the Australian Army, 2nd Corps, headquarters. During early October 1945, the Australian New Guinea Administrative Unit (ANGAU) established their headquarters on Kangu Hill at the site of the prewar government station and worked to rehabilitate native people impacted by the war by providing them providing food and supplies.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 4, 2018