The 'C' Australian Heavy Battery one location where Port
Moresby Australian Heavy Gun Battery. Initially, this gun battery was
located on the shores of Kila Bay, it was the initial and temporary
position of this battery.
During September 1942, this gun battery was established by the Australian Army 'C' Battery after they arrived in Port
Moresby and were initially stationed on Kila Beach. The shore area was used as a temporary battery position with no permanent structures or installations.
This gun battery was one of the Australian Army Heavy Gun Batteries defending Port Moresby. Manned by the Australian Army, this gun battery was designated the 'C' Australian Heavy Battery, one of the so called "Letter Batteries" tasked with defending the Port Moresby. Equipped with U. S. Army 155mm M3 Carriage Guns (155mm howitzers) to defend against any against enemy vessels or an amphibious landing attempt.
Aside from any shells fired for range finding and practice, this battery never fired at any enemy target. Later, this battery was relocated to the higher ground of Stokes Ridge (Maata Ridge) north of Pari. Finally, moved to Drysdale
Batteries by Reg Kidd & Ray Neal details the history of this gun battery
Coastal Gun Batteries of Port Moresby - Then & Now by John Douglas
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
February 4, 2018