Meet the PWD online community

Moderator: Moderator

JLCollins
Corporal

Post by JLCollins »

Hi All,

I've been interested in the Pacific Theatre since I was a young boy and heard about my great-uncle who landed on Guadacanal on Aug 7 and died during the Battle of the Tenaru on Aug 21, 1942 (there's more info on him in the Veterans board.) I read everything that I could about Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands campaigns and then expanded out from there to the rest of the Pacific. I am also very interested in the North African campaigns, especially actions by the Long Range Desert Group and the SAS.

I am a pilot and enjoy seeing the warbirds at airshows and talking with the veterans who flew and maintained them. I am also a veteran having gone through ROTC in college and serving in the Army in Desert Shield/Desert Storm and Operation Restore Hope in Somalia.

Thanks for reading,

John

diddyriddick
Sergeant

Re: New member

Post by diddyriddick »

Welcome to the forum, John. Thank you for your service!

DRBOGO
Corporal

Re: New member

Post by DRBOGO »

Hi,
Welcome to Pacific Wrecks!! Thanks for your service to our Country. My Uncle, Private First Class John Rivers U.S.M.C.R. also made the ultimate sacrifice during The Battle of the Tenaru. I've sent copies of his letters home, including one written on the transport George Elliot stationary, and period newspaper clippings of time to Bill Bartsch. Mr. Bartsch has promised to give all of the participants in the Tenaru Battle proper recognition. A Movie and Book both of which came out during the war,Pride of the Marines(the movie) and Al Schmid, Marine popularized the theory The Battle of the Tenaru was pretty much a one man show. Now HBO's The Pacific is distorting the facts even further inventing history as they go. I can't wait for Mr.Bartsch's volume to hit the stands!!!

William Rivers Freedman