USMC on Guadalcanal/USS SOUTH DAKOTA

Information about veterans of the Second World War in the Pacific, including friends and family.

Moderator: Moderator

JLCollins
Corporal

Re: USMC on Guadalcanal/USS SOUTH DAKOTA

Post by JLCollins »

Hi All,

My great-uncle was the Battalion S-2, Intelligence Officer, for the 1st Bn, 1st Marines and was killed during the Battle of the Tenaru on Aug. 21, 1942. His name was 2nd Lt. Irving VanGilder Perine, Jr. and he went by the nickname Perry or Bud. Prior to being assigned as the S-2 he was the XO for C-1-1 beginning during their time at New River, NC. I have a letter of his indicating that he was not happy about being made the XO and leaving his platoon. Not sure which platoon that was. He was assigned as the S-2 on board the transport ship on or about July 24, 1942.

According to a letter written to his parents on July 27, 1942, again at sea: "Last Friday evening the Colonel (Lieutenant Colonel Cresswell, Battalion Commander) called me into his office, and said that he ahd for some time wanted me to be on his staff, that the time had now come, altho he had wanted me to be with a Company as long as possible to see how things worked; in short, I was to become, on the spot-Bn-2, or Battalion Intelligence Officer. IT's most interesting and absorbing, and a very important job. At present I am wholly inadequate to it, but am determined to learn fast and to do a good job. It's flattering, and very definitely a promotion -- altho I'll still have serve out the year to get my silver bar."

I also have a photo of him cleaning M-1 rifles with another 2nd Lt. named B L Hedon at some post. Both are wearing a zip up jacket with a black name tape with white letters with their rank "LT" and their first and middle initials and last names. Perry is wearing his piss-cutter and Hedon is wearing fatigue hat. On the back of the photo is a stamp "Official Photograph, US Marine Corps, Public Relations Section ERD, No. 33-12B." The photo number is in blue pencil.

I'm interested in hearing from any former members (or their family) of C-1-1 or HQ-1-1 or 1st Battalion, 1st Marines who might have known my great-uncle. I appreciate the suggestion given to Joe Daly to contact the Marine Records Office in College Park and will try to arrange a visit in the near future. Thanks in advance for any assistance. John

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

Post by jose50 »

[b][color=#0000FF][/color][/b]Hello John, Welcome to the Pacific Wrecks forums. I almost despaired of hearing from anyone who may have been familiar with Creswell's battalion. There's a person whom you may want to contact in regard to learning more about your great-uncle. His name is Bill Bartsch and he's in the process of writing a book about the Tenaru River fight on 19-20Sep42. He may be able to give you a direction to follow. If you have any info that you think may be obscure, I'm sure that he would be interested in hearing form you. His e-mail address is billbartsch@cs.com A very nice fellow and genuinely interested in all things regarding the Tenaru action and Guadalcanal. Let me know how you make out. Regards, Joe Daly

JLCollins
Corporal

Post by JLCollins »

Hi Joe,

Jackpot!!!! Thanks for the tip. I had posted on Peter Flavin's Guadalcanal guestbook and both Peter and Bill contacted me yesterday. Bill had inteviewed two Marine officers from C-1-1 - the CO and another platoon leader. He also had good info on what my great-uncle did after he was called up and before he reported to New River and the First Battalion. We are not too far from each other so hopefully we'll get a chance to meet and review documents and photos. Peter sent me a few new photos of the bar the islanders are building overlooking the sandbar. No word on whether or not it will have a Battle of the Tenaru theme or not.

I appreciate your help and will continue to let you about my progress.

John

DRBOGO
Corporal

Post by DRBOGO »

I'll forgive the tardiness for your reply if you'll do the same for me!! Been in contact with Bill Bartsch and am supplying him with personal data about Uncle Jack. Mr. Bartsch has promised Corporal Lee Diamond, P.F.C. Rivers along with the crews of the other heavy weapons(37mm anti-tank gun,etc.) will get proper recognition their part in the Ilu River Battle. Thanks for your reply.

Bill

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

Post by jose50 »

Hello everyone, It's been awhile since I've been to this site and I apologize for being so tardy. I am mightily pleased that some searches have come to fruition via some info that I may have passed along.
I have been anticipating the HBO series "The Pacific" and have enjoyed watching it for the first two episodes that dealt with the Tenaru River fight and the seige of Bloody Ridge. I was chagrined though, that the timeline was a bit skewed. I suppose it goes to production and continuity issues.
Has anyone out there been able to pin down any records/anecdotes/diaries/stories about those first few weeks that haven't been already promulgated widely? If so I would be most happy to read them. I still have to contact Bill Bartsch to find out when his book will be released. Until then, thanks for all your interest in this thread and please don't hesitate to post when you feel you have anything to contribute. Joe Daly

DRBOGO
Corporal

Post by DRBOGO »

Only HBO's "The Pacific" timeline was skewed? From where, during the Battle of the Tenaru did the Browning 1914 machine gun crew which ran about shoring up the line materialize? What happened to the three Marines who were awarded the Navy Cross and Purple Heart? The same who were credited with dispatching two-hundred Japanese. The three Marines who continued to fire; after one was killed, another blinded and the third wounded by bullets/shrapnel, until there was no enemy fire upon? Jew, WASP, Native American, professional soldier, blue collar worker, professional boxer who came together as Marines to fight a common enemy. So why melt the experiences of three Marines into a kind of truth; when the truth has it all? I think HBO "missed the boat".

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

Post by jose50 »

Right you are, there, Doc. I was being kind. I'm wondering if the producers at HBO really talked to vets who were there or actually did the research that's available in order to portray the real event. As I mentioned before though, it all goes to continuity, etc. and keeping with 'historical fiction'..
After watching episode 3 last night, however, I understand why my dad was so enthusiastc about Melbourne and the Aussie womenfolk! Regards, Joe

DRBOGO
Corporal

Post by DRBOGO »

Jose,

I get so perturbed about the inaccuracies the media has created about this battle. After all, it was the first American land offensive in the Pacific Theatre! Additionally, it was fought against the same unit which provoked the "Marco Polo Bridge Incident" in China. This incident was the Japanese excuse for widening the war in China then the rest of the Pacific Rim. Many historians mark the "Marco Polo" fracas as the beginning of the shooting war. Therefore, to play with the facts of such an important event diminishes the role played by the individuals who were there. Now I'll jump off my soap box!

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

Post by jose50 »

Hi All..Once again Doc Bogo is correct regarding the Ishiki Brigade's historic past (I.E. the "Marco Polo Bridge Incident". I believe that the battalion was also involved in the infamous "Rape of Nanking" but I may be mistaken. At any rate, I am in possession of a shin-gunto(?) that is, a noncom's sword that my dad picked up following the Tenaru (Ilu) River fight. It's nothing special, just a Tokyo arsenal model but the serial numbers match on the blade and on the scabbard. The khaki scabbard cover is still spotted all over with (as dad put it) "..the Jap's blood.." After all these years it still holds its edge and is a truly fearsome looking weapon. I wonder if it had a role in those tragic incidents on its way to Guadalcanal. Does anyone think that the serial number may be tracked to any particular Japanese soldier?

DRBOGO
Corporal

Post by DRBOGO »

Hi Gang! I have what may be the last letter in existence written on the transport ship George Elliot stationary. It's a letter to my Mom from her brother PFC John Rivers. The paper is perfect(no yellowing), however, the writting(in pencil) is faded. Is there any way it could be posted for everyone to view?