Anyone searching for "Heaven Can Wait" S/N 42-734

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

smil1025
Corporal

Anyone searching for "Heaven Can Wait" S/N 42-734

Post by smil1025 »

I was wondering if the Army or any researchers are trying to recover the following plane? This was my Uncle's plane and it sure would be nice to know that this crew is being looked for. If not, does anyone know who to contact to try and get some research done on finding this plane / crew?

B-24J-50-CO "Heaven Can Wait" Serial Number 42-73496

Mission History
Aircraft was engaged on a bombing mission from Eniwetok to Ponape. Due to electrical problems the aircraft was delayed on take off for approximately two hours. It was never heard from again.
There were reports by "Tokyo Rose" that a B-24 was shot down over Ponape on the date in question. This was the only B-24 that did not return.

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Basic details for this aircraft can be found on the Project PRIAM at the following URL:
http://www.pacificghosts.com.au/priam/v ... d=42-73496

I will try and get some more details on there ASAP.
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

Gyrene
Corporal

Re: Anyone searching for "Heaven Can Wait" S/N 42-734

Post by Gyrene »

As far as I know, only a PBJ and an F4U actually crashed on Ponape. Of course, that does not mean that the B-24 in question wasn't hit over Ponape and crashed on the reef or at sea. Let me e-mail this to a friend and see what I can find out.

Semper Fi,
Robert
Semper Fi,
Robert
http://www.vmb-613.com

Gyrene
Corporal

Post by Gyrene »

I just received a reply from Stan Gajda on Ponape (Pohnpei). Stan has lived on Ponape for the past nine years and has documented the wreckage of the PBJ and the F4U that crashed on the island. He also knew of the loss of another F4U that ditched in the water off Ponape and was surprised when I inquired about the loss of this Liberator. He indicated that he has asked many people over the years for information regarding aircraft wreckage, but has never been told of anything other than the PBJ and the F4U. He speculates that the "Tokyo Rose" broadcast was a propaganda ploy to show the Americans how powerful the air defenses were on Ponape.

Sorry that there is not more information, but I was pretty sure that there was no knowledge of a B-24 crash on Ponape. Another resident on Ponape, Gene Ashby, indicated in his book that only the PBJ and F4U crashed on the island during the war.

Stan also mentioned that he just returned from Tarawa. While there, he was going to dive on a new B-24 wreck in the lagoon, but his plans were canceled due to strong winds.
Semper Fi,
Robert
http://www.vmb-613.com

smil1025
Corporal

Post by smil1025 »

I was wondering if anyone has done anything further to search for my Uncle's plane "Heaven Can Wait"? Would anyone have any information to share with me on this plane and crew? I will be glad to share any information that the government has provided me on my briefings with the MIA/POW organization. I have all my Uncle's papers that were filed for the 'search' efforts during the following 3 days after this plane went missing......Would be WONDERFUL if I could get a search team out there, I am sure this plane could be found !!! I have the coordinates of the Mae West life jacket, oar and life boat that was found which is listed on the 'search' report. Would this be of any help to any search team? Please feel free to contact me at smil1025@sc.rr.com with any questions/comments. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart....My Uncle was MY HERO !! I will search until my dying day for him !!!!

obxgyrene
Private

Post by obxgyrene »

I am sending you an e-mail. Keep an eye out for it.

PF
Lt Col

Post by PF »