what do I need to do?

Information about Pacific Theatre aircraft currently flying or under restoration.

Moderator: Moderator

hi_stik
Corporal

what do I need to do?

Post by hi_stik »

I really hate my job, and while I'm fairly young (31), I am facing a mid-life crisis, of a sort. I consider myself an amateur WWII Pacific Campaign historian, it's pretty much all I've read about my entire life. I would desperately like to hunt for wrecks, or learn to restore them, or do something along those lines, but I don't know where to begin. Should I take classes at a technical college like welding or engine maintenance, or do people who do this kind of work take on apprentices? Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

NS38th_Aristaeus
2nd Lieutenant

Post by NS38th_Aristaeus »

If u are wanting to get experiance on restoring A/C I would think the best place to start is to find an indivdual or organization that is restoring a plane and voluntier.
Allot of warbird restorations are done with voluntier help.
CAN'T TALK; GOTTA SHOOT
http://www.Hawaiiclipper.com
http://www.NS38th.com
http://www.com-central.net
Find Them, Restore Them, Fly'Em

hi_stik
Corporal

Post by hi_stik »

good call, I will give the Texas Airplane Factory a call and see if they need volunteers...

Mr.Chris
1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr.Chris »

hi_stik:

I'm rebuilding a plane, and it's basically a learning curve. You can do it on your own hands on. Might I suggest you start with a light plane like a Piper Cub, and rebuild it to airworthy. Go to the local airport and find yourself a good IA mechanic, and get him to help you. Are you in Arizona? You can help me with mine, and gain valuable experience. You can buy a light aircraft project for $4000-6000. Also you can get a job that is heavy in mathematics, manufacturing, welding, drafting, engineering, wood working and develop your skills further. However, if you have the desire and interest and ability to learn that's all you need. You can start as you are, just find some mentorship. Let me know if I can assist you in any way.

Chris

u23b
Sergeant

Re: what do I need to do?

Post by u23b »

You may try the National Air and Space Museum and see what kind of degrees/back grounds are needed.

Maybe some of the folks at http://www.tighar.org have some ideas.

Mr.Chris
1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr.Chris »

u23b:

You don't need a specific background or degree; some might help, but that's all.

norge
Sergeant

Post by norge »

Hi_stik
If you are near Midland Texas, you can contact the Confederate Air force (The name has neen change from Confederate to a new name)
Harry

clutchfan
2nd Lieutenant

Post by clutchfan »

They call it "Commemorative Air Force" now.

Anthony J. Mireles
Captain

Post by Anthony J. Mireles »

I don't know if you are in the US or not. If you are, you should join the Experimental Aircraft Association or EAA. Members are encouraged to build their own airplanes. Senior members are willing to help guys just getting started. I have learned a lot just from reading the magazines. Plus the local chapters of EAA have work seminars that give the home builder great tips and help to teach new skills.

I also belong to the Commemorative Air Force or CAF. The orginization has about 120 WWII warbirds that actually fly. These airplanes are controlled by various "Wing" units, usually determined by geographic location. I belong to the Great Lakes Wing. We have a Douglas C-47 and the only Junkers JU-52 flying in the Western Hemisphere. I have learned a lot about warbird flying and maintenance since joining this outfit. There are no free rides in the CAF--members are expected to volunteer for projects and work hard to keep these old airplanes flying. My CAF wing requires that all personnel who want to be active flight crewmembers and who want to fly on the planes to airshows attend ground school/safety meetings. Our ground school is tailored to our specific aircraft--the C-47 and JU-52. It is a great experience. Plus, with additional training, you can actually fly the planes too. Our wing just received a "Distinguished Unit Award" from the national Headquarters for our hard work and dedication to service.

Tony Mireles