Online chronology of WW II

Discussion about books, videos, DVDs, games and other media related to the Pacifc Theatre.

Moderator: Moderator

Mark Gurdy
Private

Online chronology of WW II

Post by Mark Gurdy »

Hello,

from a Serbian (?) web page h**p://znaci.net, which is some kind of library, I found a chronology of WW II - h**p://www.znaci.net/00002/316.htm

It seems to be put together by the Military Intelligence Division, US War Department, probably in 1945. The document seems to have been at least Restricted in the past, and Unclassified later.

The online parts look to be photographed from a typed document, and converted to PDF, but not every part (month) is readable online.

From the pages I have found more detailed info about Pacific War Theaters than from the Combat Chronology of the United States Army Air Forces in WW II or other chronologies.

Does anybody know more about this particular chronology and how reliable the info is?

Thanks

Markku

PADutchman
1st Lieutenant

Re: Online chronology of WW II

Post by PADutchman »

I looked at your posting and it included the downing of THREE B-17S from my father's 11 TH BGH on February 1, 1943. All three planes were lost and their crews, sad however not uncommon in the Pacific Theater. I often wonder if any one appreciates the AIR FORCES OF OUR ALLIES AND AMERICA THAT fought in the Pacific as much as the crews themselves and their families. I have become friends with the families of these three crews because my father survived the Pacific War he brought home photos, and some of the photos are of these very men who died on this mission.

In the United States all we ever see or hear about is the Eighth Air Force or Corp in Europe. When the 11 TH BGH was ATTACKED ON DECEMBER 7, 1941 there wasn't even an Eighth Air Corp or Force and wouldn't be for some time.

The 11 TH BGH and its four squadrons were the only USA Air/Corp Force UNIT (7TH) to be in WORLD WAR TWO FROM THE VERY MOMENT THE JAPANESE ATTACKED UNTIL THE DAY THE JAPANESE SURRENDERED.

Thank for this Chronicle there are several family members of these three crews who really were amazed and appreciated this additional documentation of the loss of their loved ones. These three B-17s were the last of the 11 TH BGH Squadrons and the damaged one was from the 72 Squadron.