Looking for Info on Uncle Fred

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

dicknmegg
Private

Looking for Info on Uncle Fred

Post by dicknmegg »

My wifes uncle " Arthur Fred Miller" SSGT on B24 was lost June 14, 1944 Papau New Guinea. Looking for more information and pictures of plane and where it may have gone down.

Edward
Administrator

Re: Looking for Info on Uncle Fred

Post by Edward »

Hi dicknmegg,

The ABMC website has:
S/Sgt Arthur F. Miller (# 35436013)
320th Squadron of the 90th Bombardment Group
Awarded the Air Medal and Purple Heart
He was officially declared dead on 21 February 1946.

Cross checking other members of the 320th Squadron who were also declared dead on 21 Feb 1946 I came across the name of 1st Lt. Merlynn A. O. Zuehlsdorff. I quick search of his name led me to a couple of pages on the crew of B-24J # 42-73197.

The Pacific Wrecks website has part of the MACR (Missing Air Crew Report) provided:
"Took off from Nadzab and staged through Momote on a long range mission to Yap. The last known radio fix coordinates were 4° 28' South, 144° 15' East (Sepik River area). It appears that they had overshot Hollandia. It is my personal opinion that because they had been experiencing severe weather to and from their mission target, and when this fix was initiated they had reported that they were extremely low on fuel. They decided rather than to turn back to Hollandia, they were about midway back to Nadzab at this point, they took the chance and continued on, I'm sure they were hoping that their fuel would get them either back or at least close enough to be away from Japanese held areas. This is my opinion."

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b ... 73197.html

There is additional information at the 90th BG Jolly Roger website including a group picture with Sgt. Miller.

http://www.jollyrogersweb.com/resultDet ... ?jrID=5474

The full MACR can be found at the commercial website footnote.com. We can provide you with a copy of this if you like.

Determining the location of where this B-24 went missing will be difficult. WWII era aircraft continue to be found in the mountains and jungles of New Guinea and I hope that your wife's uncle's B-24 will be found in the near future.

If you have further questions please let us know.

Edward