new member- reseaching Uncle

Meet the PWD online community

Moderator: Moderator

pansy
Private

new member- reseaching Uncle

Post by pansy »

I am Pam & I am a Kiwi living in Australia, Justin I was thrilled to find a photo of Uncle Ians plane on your site
F4U-1D Corsair Serial Number NZ5429

Ian Morrison Thorburn was my uncle the youngest brother of my father James Thorburn, I would love to know all abt the photo, where the site is situated exactly, as we were told one mile north of Vunapopoe
After the War my Father went to try & find his brothers remains but was unable to discover them
Hoping you can surply me with the exact location of the crash & weather any of Ians remains were found
I hope to one day go over to Rabaul, ny tips on travel to those parts also for members would be most useful

pansy
Private

Re: new member- reseaching Uncle

Post by pansy »

Sadly I received no reply from this posting, so thought I would bump it up

Orielbenfro
Private

Post by Orielbenfro »

Sgt Pilot Ian Morrison Thorburn reported as KIA Christmas night 1944, was the grandson of Mr & Mrs Williams of West Street Orange Gardens Pembroke Town Wales.

He is included along with other Australians and N.Z. personal in my service and ex-service pembrokeshire military related headstone database.

I am a long retired civil servant and currently have some 2,600 jpegs of headstones and 500+ pages of research, if you would like a copy of anything I have I will willingly and freely supply you with a jpeg.

I would also be interested in a link to Ian's aircraft if possible.

For background on me just google my username

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

richard rudd
1st Lieutenant

Post by richard rudd »

Hi Pansy.Late finder of yr post re yr Uncle and NZ 5429. A recycle it into Wrecks and Losses might help.
Years ago I met Brian Bennet in Rabaul. Forester, wreck hunter/finder and worked with JPAC, the MIA US aircrew people. He would probably know of this aircraft and location. Try bjb_56@yahoo.com.au or the tasmanian phone book.
Happy Hunting.
ps that part of PNG is very WW2 historical and well worth a visit.